Are these STOCK FZ1 bars?

G-man

These funky OURY grips (they are soft) and bars came with the bike, as you can see they removed the bar weights and I don't have the OEM operators manual to compare, which is a great segway into my next questions.
Does anyone have:

1) OEM Owners/operator manual (ordered a Clymer maintenance manual from RM but would like the OEM manual that comes with the bike)

2) OEM Bar ends

Thanks,
Gary

Bars3.jpg

Bars2.jpg

Bars.jpg

Here is a photo of the stock handlebars from a 2002 review, click to zoom.

I would say that yours is an aftermarket bar to go along with those aftermarket grips. I believe the FZ1 has threaded ends for the bar-end weights and your aftermarket bar probably won't have that.

Thanks Dustin I was hoping someone would know.

I need to pull off the grip to see if I can add bar weights--I think that's most of the problem.

G

hehehehe I like that idea. lolup

So what am I looking for. Are the threads on the ID of the bar, or is there something inside the bar that it threads into?

So nobody has some stock bar ends they want to sell?

Thanks,

Thanks Wolf let me know.

So how do you like the throttlemeister?

I'm thinking of getting some type of cruise control and know nothing about them.

Gary

Yep I'm convinced I do not have the stock bars>

6094d1304086871-these-stock-fz1-bars-zoom-2002_yamaha_fz1-gauges_view.jpg

Haven't taken off the grip yet (seems to be glued on) as I want to make sure to buy the right grips that won't make my hands go numb and I want them before I remove the OURY's.

Also I'm thinking the OEM bar weights will not work as I poked thru the grip and could not feel any threads.

Moved the bars up (fwd) so now they are higher and farther away but this feels worse.

I got mine used and have been having fitment problems. I've sent them in for repair but even with partial usage I can see they will be a good addition. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for them though because the universal throttle locks do basically the same thing with a simpler movements.

I'll let you know as soon as I get the TMs back about the stock bar ends.

Looks like I won'tv need the OEM bar ends wolf, I appreciate the offer though.

Went over to my buddy's garage who has the R1 and put on the TM's. He let me have his bar ends but not sure they will work.

Removed the grip (the bars were cut shorter) and sure enough there is nothing for the bar end to screw into.

Does Throttlemeister make a universal set, this would also cure my lack of bar end problem that I don't like (buzz).

Dano said the TM's are heavier than the OEM bar ends, is this true?

Thanks

G, got me TMs back today (that was quick!). I have the Heavy ones in black. They are noticeably heavier than the stock bar ends.
found this:
sizes.JPEG

OEM weights weigh 10.7 ounces.

Can't you thread your bars? I checked the TM site and I didn't see a kit for unthreaded bars.

Last edited:
Thanks Wolf, those pics help out.

Went down to CycleGear (I'm going broke there, as I've been back THREE TIMES! lol) looking for some Universal Bar Ends. Sure enough they had a few to choose from.
Mentioned to the parts guy my problem and he dug into the Bargain Bin DEEP and pulled out some HEAVY Bar ends for 8 bones! :flash:

He then hooked me up with some grips and after putting everything on and moving the bars up, went for a good ride the next morning.

That solved about 70% of my problem right there, but i could sure use a Cruise device. They had those cheezball ones there but I passed, (do they work safely?) Might havta call TM.

If I hadn't gotten the TMs used when I did, I was going to get the Vista Cruise or maybe it was the NEP throttle lock. There are many that like them better than the TM but once you get the dang thing adjusted right (I ended up moving my whole throttle so that some of the tube extended a past the end of the bar) and use it in conjunction with a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VU0CQ6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GTXWC8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PPNX9KSEBSPPRSCNFMK"]throttle boss[/ame] or [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CrampBuster-Throttle-Mounted-Motorcycle-Cruise/dp/B000NUVPQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1305097977&sr=1-2"]cramp buster[/ame] it's a lot easier to engage.

I'd love to see pics of your new setup and find out what kind of grips you got. I've stuck with the pro grip gel ones because they stock 'em at Cycle Gear (I agree, it's a dangerous place!).

Back