ARG!DAM*$ it!

So I'm sitting at our meeting spot where I and 2 others will go for a really nice Friday 2 hour run. I hear this little hiss and think "hm, I've never heard that before" I was thinking that perhaps it was noises from cooling off or something. Put the bike on the center stand and check my 10 day old tire only to find this. I swear I could just kill someone right now, in stead of ridding I'm sitting at home trying to figure out if plugging a tire is ok. So I decided to ask you fellows what you think. A brand new tire with a dam* screw, it screwed up my ride :)

Wow, sorry to see that bud. This is one of those deals where 50% will tell you to replace and the other 50% would plug it. Me, being on a "limited" budget, basically "No Budget", would plug the tire or have it plugged and patched from the inside. Then again, I don't run hard with my bike. I don't have the luxury of going to buy a brand new tire to replace a brand new tire. I had a plug in my 021's rear tire for over 2,000 miles without any issue, and I plugged the tire myself. I guess it comes down to whatever your comfortable with.

That's in the best place to plug mate, towards the centre of the tyre. I've had it done before, just like that. Tyre's fine afterwards. 120mph plus is ok.

better to take the tire off and patch from the inside as plugging can seperate the belts.If you plug it just keep a good check on the tires condition.I usually always have a spare lying around for just such an emergency.BTW Avon offers a factory road hazard warranty with all thier tires no other motorcycle tire does that or not that I know of.How do you like the conti's otherwise?

As other s have said the location of the puncture actually makes it a good candidate for a nice mushroom plug on the inside. Personally I would only patch a tire to get back home. I would always worry about it and I have enough other things to worry about (mostly idiot drivers) when I'm on the bike.

Sh*t! I just had a screw in my front PR2 in about the same location. I did plug it and it held air fine for a couple rides while the new front was on the way- didn't want to chance it with the front.

That was last month.

Last Sunday while preping my FJR for a 3 day run up the coast I had a screw in the same place as your on my rear tire. Damnit $$##!@$. Pluged it and rode it hard on some back roads which were rough as hell with sections of gravel, major twisty's in the Trinity Alps and just general mayhem. The plug held for the first day but then started a real slow leak. I'm going to reem the plug out and double gooy string it with plenty of glue just to see if it will hold air. If it does, I will finish off that tire before replacing it.

Plug the rear but check it every ride.

Hey thank you all, I know I can always count on your advice. I do see both points. I will plug it if I can find someone to do it for me but will worry about it until I replace it. I really like the conti's I hadn't even broken it in yet so I can not really report on mileage but handling they're great. I hate screws! :mad:

Hey guys I was wondering when you use the gooy emergancy plugs go you melt it into the tire? I have always been taught to ream it out, glue the hell out of if let that set up of a moment, plug it, light the little end you have left with a lighter, then use the butt of the lighter and push the plug into the tire when its melted so it creates a good seal. Anyone do anything different?

Hey guys I was wondering when you use the gooy emergancy plugs go you melt it into the tire? I have always been taught to ream it out, glue the hell out of if let that set up of a moment, plug it, light the little end you have left with a lighter, then use the butt of the lighter and push the plug into the tire when its melted so it creates a good seal. Anyone do anything different?

I have put a few plugs in my day and have never melted it. I can't remember not one failure yet. I only ream, apply a nice amount of glue, insert and pull, and then after a few minutes I cut the excess with a single edged blade and nothing more. I give the glue enough time to set before running any highway speeds.

I feel you Damn it!! LOL and I raise you ......The only Yamaha Shop within 100 miles will NOT plug a tire period. NO WAY!!! Crap!!! Those plugs costs $40 plus labor. Unless you plug it yourself - your not saving all that much.
Motorcycle Super Store is running a special right now. I picked up a front Michilin for right at $100.
I will even PM you the $5 off voucher that I got for spending $100. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested. :cheers: This happened to me about 2 months ago!! Stinks!!!!

That is a b!tch. Same thing happened to me last Labor Day weekend. Bought a repair kit and put a plug (gummy rope, actually) in it. Worked fine until I replaced tires.

Every rider should have some way to repair a tire that has been penetrated by a screw or nail and know how to do it. If you are traveling on your own, and especially when you are in rural country, you can't depend on someone else just happening on the scene with a repair kit in their posession. I'm lucky and I've only had one flat and that was in 1971 on the campus of Michigan State and was able to get to a place to fix the tire. Having a plug kit and a way to refill the tire may save you many steps in search of help. Kits are relatively cheap and I used one about a month ago to fix a nasty nail in one of the tires on my new/used car. I just happened to have the plug
kit in my bike stuff, and went by the directions with the kit. It took about ten minutes to pull the nail, plug it, and refill the tire. It's still doing just fine and it litteraly cost me nothing.

Every rider should have some way to repair a tire that has been penetrated by a screw or nail and know how to do it. If you are traveling on your own, and especially when you are in rural country, you can't depend on someone else just happening on the scene with a repair kit in their posession. I'm lucky and I've only had one flat and that was in 1971 on the campus of Michigan State and was able to get to a place to fix the tire. Having a plug kit and a way to refill the tire may save you many steps in search of help. Kits are relatively cheap and I used one about a month ago to fix a nasty nail in one of the tires on my new/used car. I just happened to have the plug
kit in my bike stuff, and went by the directions with the kit. It took about ten minutes to pull the nail, plug it, and refill the tire. It's still doing just fine and it litteraly cost me nothing.

I agree. Of course the one time that I decided to take my small bag and had only room for my fleece this happened. I am now going to set up an emergency kit. I already have it all just need to find a place on the bike to put it all into and not depend on bags. If I'd have had all of it on the road it would have at the very least saved me some worry riding back home.

Back