***Attention Central Jersey Riders***

Any members that live or ride through Central Jersey please help me out. I am looking to ride down there this Sunday coming and would like to find some nice roads to ride on. I'm thinking around Englishtown or somewhere close by. If anyone has some favorite routes that they ride on, please pass it along to me here. I know it's short notice but I just came up with this thought.

I'm just looking for something twisty, sweeping, and scenic. Not necessarily a fast route, maybe 45mph or around there. Any suggestions are welcome. I figure if I head a bit south, the temps may be a degree or two higher. Thanks!

Yeah, where's Steve when you need him?! I've been looking on Mapquest but it's hard to tell which routes are full of lights and such. This may be one of those "go out and get lost trips". Let's see if Steve signs on and can post some help.

Here I am! Here I am !

Sunday might work for me. My daughter is in a cheerleading competition but I'm not staying the whole day. I should be back in CNJ by 1:00. I'll PM you my cell number so if you're down here already we can catch up somewhere.

Let me google map a few roads and post later this afternoon.

Steve

Here I am! Here I am !

Sunday might work for me. My daughter is in a cheerleading competition but I'm not staying the whole day. I should be back in CNJ by 1:00. I'll PM you my cell number so if you're down here already we can catch up somewhere.

Let me google map a few roads and post later this afternoon.

Steve

That sounds good. Pass along some routes for me. Route numbers will do just fine. Just remember that the Giants are in town and I'm looking to be back North by at 2:30 or 3:00pm in order to beat the stadium traffic. How close are you to Englishtown?

Hey guess what. I got dispensation from attending my daughters cheerleading competition. I’m free all day Sunday. Let’s hook up! I'm good to meet up anytime.

Naturally I’d like to see her because it’s a state championship but if you’ve ever been to one of theses things you’d understand why I don’t feel bad about missing it. Imagine the loudest dance club you’ve ever been in with no alcohol and stuck in a seat for hours and hours. This just to see your daughter’s 5-minute routine from a great distance. I’m going to attend their local party in the evening instead.

Anyway, I’m looking at some routes. There’s nothing exceptionally twisty or scenic here around Englishtown compared to what you guys usually do at Bear Mountain and similar places. But there are lots of low traffic country roads. I assume you’ll be coming down the Parkway. We can meet at the Cheesequake rest area. It’s the first rest area south of the Raritan River at about mile 122. W could head out west from there on Bordentown Ave. to Spotswood or Jamesburg. Then go south on either Englishtown Rd. or Devoe Ave.

Google Map Englishtown. South of it you’ll see Rt. 33. All the county roads south of Rt. 33 (and west of Freehold) are pretty good. I can’t say I know them all too well. I usually just head down that way and enjoy getting lost. Going home I just head north until I find a road I know. I have a buddy who might join us. He has a 93 Honda Shadow 1100 cruiser. He knows the area very well.

Another option that is more scenic is the area near the Round Valley Reservoir near Lebanon. I haven’t been there yet on the bike. I was through there in the car a few months ago and thought it would be a great place to ride. Google Map Lbeanon. You’ll see the reservoir. All the county roads SW of there look great.

What time were you thinking of being in Central NJ?

Last edited:
Hey guess what. I got dispensation from attending my daughters cheerleading competition. I’m free all day Sunday. Let’s hook up! I'm good to meet up anytime.

Naturally I’d like to see her because it’s a state championship but if you’ve ever been to one of theses things you’d understand why I don’t feel bad about missing it. Imagine the loudest dance club you’ve ever been in with no alcohol and stuck in a seat for hours and hours. This just to see your daughter’s 5-minute routine from a great distance. I’m going to attend their local party in the evening instead.

Anyway, I’m looking at some routes. There’s nothing exceptionally twisty or scenic here around Englishtown compared to what you guys usually do at Bear Mountain and similar places. But there are lots of low traffic country roads. I assume you’ll be coming down the Parkway. We can meet at the Cheesequake rest area. It’s the first rest area south of the Raritan River at about mile 122. W could head out west from there on Bordentown Ave. to Spotswood or Jamesburg. Then go south on either Englishtown Rd. or Devoe Ave.

Google Map Englishtown. South of it you’ll see Rt. 33. All the county roads south of Rt. 33 (and west of Freehold) are pretty good. I can’t say I know them all too well. I usually just head down that way and enjoy getting lost. Going home I just head north until I find a road I know. I have a buddy who might join us. He has a 93 Honda Shadow 1100 cruiser. He knows the area very well.

Another option that is more scenic is the area near the Round Valley Reservoir near Lebanon. I haven’t been there yet on the bike. I was through there in the car a few months ago and thought it would be a great place to ride. Google Map Lbeanon. You’ll see the reservoir. All the county roads SW of there look great.

What time were you thinking of being in Central NJ?

I'm finally home so I can concentrate now. I was thinking of being down by Englishtown or the rest stop by 11:00am or so. Let me go look at the map so I know what I'm talking about. I'll be back on in a few. Everything sounds like a go. I'll get back to you either here or through a PM. Thanks Steve. I also want to find out what Tony has planned for the weekend as well. He'd be close to home and won't have to travel far. Talk to you later.

Okay, I just studied the map and was thinking that we maybe could meet up at the main gate at Raceway Park on Pension Rd. From there we could use small routes and head over to Lebanon and the lake. It's one hour from my house to Englishtown and according to Mapquest, using only small routes, it's another hour to Lebanon. We could then find a quick bite to eat in Lebanon and disperse from there. I could hop on 78 East and head up to Route 80 to get home. Let me know if this is good for you as I don't know how far you are from Pension Road and the racetrack. If this is good, I'll check out the smaller routes from the racetrack to the park in Lebanon. This ride would give me a little over three or so hours riding time which should be about what my tired old legs could take.

Well I think I should be able to join you guys on Sunday. I've been down on Rt 33 and 133 by Freehold before. Not sure if we should really go all the way down to E-town if we're going to head over to Round Valley because Steve is up in Sayreville. We could probably try and take some of the 500 and 600 series county roads out West. They're usually good, but I don't really know that area too well either...

Well I think I should be able to join you guys on Sunday. I've been down on Rt 33 and 133 by Freehold before. Not sure if we should really go all the way down to E-town if we're going to head over to Round Valley because Steve is up in Sayreville. We could probably try and take some of the 500 and 600 series county roads out West. They're usually good, but I don't really know that area too well either...

That sounds good. So then let me meet you by your house and we'll leave together. Then you can coordinate a meeting point for us to head out. That sounds better to me. Let me know. Thanks Tony. I'm gonna make sure to bring extra batteries this time and if we leave at about 11 or 11:30am the sun should be perfect for video!

Ok, I was looking over the map some more, so if we're going to Round Valley then we can meet Steve and his friend out by Bound Brook on 22 West and head on 202 over towards Flemington and then at some point start heading up North towards Round Valley. How does that sound to you Steve?

Well I hardly ever travel out that far on 22 so I am not exactly sure of what's out there. I take it you'll come up 287 and get off on 22 West, which is exit 14B I think. We can just probably meet at the next intersection West of there since there is bound to be a gas station or store around.

As for time, Billy was thinking of getting to me by 11 AM, but we should probably move that earlier so that he's by me at 10:30 or so and we can meet you out on 22 around 11:30 or so.

Well I hardly ever travel out that far on 22 so I am not exactly sure of what's out there. I take it you'll come up 287 and get off on 22 West, which is exit 14B I think. We can just probably meet at the next intersection West of there since there is bound to be a gas station or store around.

As for time, Billy was thinking of getting to me by 11 AM, but we should probably move that earlier so that he's by me at 10:30 or so and we can meet you out on 22 around 11:30 or so.

You know me. You just say the time and I'll be at Walmart waiting for you! This sounds great. We'll have a good time, I can't wait. Just PM me the particulars and we'll seal the deal! Also, Steve should PM me his cell number and I'll reply with mine. It's ON FOR SUNDAY!!!

I have an idea. On Rt 22, about a mile or so west of where it meets Rt 287, there is a diner in between the Rt 22 W and Rt 22 E lanes. We could meet there. I forget the name of it but I think the number "9" is in it. Don't hold me to that though. But it will be the first diner you see on 22 west of 287.

So, 11:30 then? I'm good either earlier or later too.

I'll PM you both my cell number now.

Should be fun!

I have an idea. On Rt 22, about a mile or so west of where it meets Rt 287, there is a diner in between the Rt 22 W and Rt 22 E lanes. We could meet there. I forget the name of it but I think the number \\"9\\" is in it. Don't hold me to that though. But it will be the first diner you see on 22 west of 287.

So, 11:30 then? I'm good either earlier or later too.

I'll PM you both my cell number now.

Should be fun!

Steve that diner sounds like a good meeting place. Let's move the time to 10:30 AM. See you tomorrow :tup:

I'm all set. I changed the batteries out in the GoPro. I ran a test by turning the camera on and started recording. Sure enough, after two straight minutes of recording the camera stopped. I swapped out the batteries for brand new ones and took out the multimeter. I checked the lithiums and they registered only 1.42 volts. Way below where they should have been. New lithiums register a constant 1.72 volts. So everything should be good for tomorrow. I certainly hope its not the camera. We'll find out tomorrow. It should be a great ride and I'm looking forward to meeting Steve F. and his buddy. If everything goes good, I should have some nice video and pictures by tomorrow evening. Well, its time to hit the sack and get some sleep. Tony, I'll see you in the morning! Good night. all!

I had a wonderful time today. I logged in with 232 miles and no worse for wear. It was a pleasure meeting Steve F and his buddy Bob. The four of us had a super time riding together. I am currently getting the pictures and videos in order and will post them soon. Thanks to Tony, Steve, and Bob for a great ride.

Back