Bandit 1250 to FZ1S

G'day all,
I'm toying with upgrading the B1250S to the bike I should have bought in the first place a FZ1S.
Has anyone gone this route?
Also it seems Yamaha only offer a 12 month warranty. Is this cause of concern?
What real world touring range can I expect from a tank. I know it all depends :lol: but I need to get 250km by being a good boy on a tour.
Also like the B1250 is black the fastest colour ;)

What real world touring range can I expect from a tank. I know it all depends :lol: but I need to get 250km by being a good boy on a tour.

12 month warranty is not a problem as long as you service it properly, Yamaha engine is very strong and hard to kill if treated right.

I have the FZ1N and i get about 270km per tank on the highway sitting on 140km/hr i would expect the FZ1S to get better mileage but I don't know for sure

And ummm.. the FZ comes in black... the best color :D so you shouldn't have any issues

G'day all,
I'm toying with upgrading the B1250S to the bike I should have bought in the first place a FZ1S.
Has anyone gone this route?

Yamaha Australia have a 2 year warranty for a brand new FZ1 so I'm not sure where you got that one from?

The touring range is pretty lousy IMHO, but I think you should be able to get 250 klms without too much spirited riding.

Once you get the revs up though, they drink like fish.

Last edited:
My FZ1 goes on reserve right at the 150 mi mark (241 km). There is about 80 km left in the reserve supply at this point. You should be ok if 250 km is your goal on the main tank.

My FZ1 goes on reserve right at the 150 mi mark (241 km). There is about 80 km left in the reserve supply at this point. You should be ok if 250 km is your goal on the main tank.

They must have a bigger fuel tank in the USA models ;)
I've never heard of an FZ1 with that kind of milage, mine by comparison, is woeful.
I doubt I would get 240 klm from the whole tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The warranty question came from a line on the Yam AU website but happy if it's 2yrs. Touring range could be a bigger issue. Others regularly get 350km out of their Bandits but I have never managed more than 280km. Maybe I'm more of a bad arse than I admit.
I still want a test ride and the move is still highly likely but there are a couple of non negotiables.

Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited:
I would agree with that, a fared FZ1 should be better than the naked version due to the aero's.

And there are differences in models from one country to another (pollution control) and sometimes gearing will be different (don't think that is the case with the FZ1, though) so it is hard to compare. And how the machine is driven has a huge effect on mileage. It's tough to compare.

Do the Swap!

Hi twowheelsagain, about 3 months ago I sold my SV1000s which was a comfortable and brilliant bike and got a 2008 FZ1S...it is even more brilliant!!! Comfortable, Powerful and Smooth and my wife loves the pillion accomodation. I have got 280 klm on a trip, but that was cruising mode and I always use 98 octane which definitely gives better consumption. If I ride in a more spirited fashion tank range is closer to 230klm, but I am usually quite happy to stop for a break. Also, I have mostly been a black bike guy as we all know they the fastest, but my FZ1S is blue and I am liking the colour more and more...anyway, good luck with your new FZ when you get it...I dont know if you have test rode one, but as soon as you do,even though the 1250 bandit is very sweet ride, you will be swapping!

Hi twowheelsagain, about 3 months ago I sold my SV1000s which was a comfortable and brilliant bike and got a 2008 FZ1S...it is even more brilliant!!! Comfortable, Powerful and Smooth and my wife loves the pillion accomodation. I have got 280 klm on a trip, but that was cruising mode and I always use 98 octane which definitely gives better consumption. If I ride in a more spirited fashion tank range is closer to 230klm, but I am usually quite happy to stop for a break. Also, I have mostly been a black bike guy as we all know they the fastest, but my FZ1S is blue and I am liking the colour more and more...anyway, good luck with your new FZ when you get it...I dont know if you have test rode one, but as soon as you do,even though the 1250 bandit is very sweet ride, you will be swapping!

I have been using 95 so I might give the 98 a go next time to see what happens.

Sent from my SG2 using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's the sort of info I'm after :)
Not had a test ride yet. They are hard to come by in regional Vic. Might have to go to Melb but would prefer a test on roads I know what the Bandit feels like to compare.
One thing I know for sure. If i get one it will be black (again) as "once you go black, you can't go back" :lol:
Sat on a FZ8N in a shop today. Different I know but was impressed with the quality.

Different I know but was impressed with the quality.

Only Honda can match (and beat) Yamaha's build quality but I doubt you will be comfortable touring on a Gen 2, knowing that like myself, we shop at high and MIGHTY. :)

Only Honda can match (and beat) Yamaha's build quality but I doubt you will be comfortable touring on a Gen 2, knowing that like myself, we shop at high and MIGHTY. :)
Touring on a Gen II is not only possible but surprisingly good!! I have done many 1200km days with no more problems than any other bike. Your bum tends to get sore after 10 hours in the saddle no matter what. As for fuel economy I can now get 265km on a very full tank sitting on 120-130 kmh after my tuner showed me that at 130kmh you are using 3%throttle and between 5000 and 5750 rpm he set my AFR at 12.9-13 @ 5%, keeping the rest as close as possible @ 12.5 for max power when up her. I now have the same peak HP as a new Bandit, @ under 7000rpm with the great top end, better handling and brakes. Kind of makes it a sure bet. And yes I have owned a Bandit and the FZ1 is a better all round ride IMO of coarse.

Jes, I understand your loyalty to your bike, I am on my 63rd and 64th bikes, Gen1 2003 Bee and 2008 Bandit.

Having been superbly impressed by the Gen1 (having had a 2001 R1 from which its motor is derived) I tried every version of the Gen II and they all fell short (IMO)

Beauty lies in the eyes and hands and feet of the rider and such is life, to add one more cliché, "whatever rocks your boat" and if the Gen II rocks yours good on you .

I don't believe that Yamaha will ever supersede the 1st Gen FZ1 but they will continue to try to please the evolving generations of riders and therein lies the difference, most importantly is that they continue to please the next Generation of riders whilst leaving the older dedicated folk like myself content to have participated in the evolution of a superb Marque, we lucky lucky few!:)

Jes, I understand your loyalty to your bike, I am on my 63rd and 64th bikes, Gen1 2003 Bee and 2008 Bandit.

Having been superbly impressed by the Gen1 (having had a 2001 R1 from which its motor is derived) I tried every version of the Gen II and they all fell short (IMO)

Beauty lies in the eyes and hands and feet of the rider and such is life, to add one more cliché, "whatever rocks your boat" and if the Gen II rocks yours good on you .

I don't believe that Yamaha will ever supersede the 1st Gen FZ1 but they will continue to try to please the evolving generations of riders and therein lies the difference, most importantly is that they continue to please the next Generation of riders whilst leaving the older dedicated folk like myself content to have participated in the evolution of a superb Marque, we lucky lucky few!:)

Very well said. I haven't owned all those bikes but I think I've ridden close to that many. There's only rare bike I found annoying enough to not want to ride a second time. They all have their charm.

Well I scored a test ride on Friday and was able to ride roads I know well which was a bonus.
The trouble is the new FZ came up under expectations. Dissapointing actually.
Suspension was way too soft. Vibration through the seat. Huge throttle free play before anything happens. Screen was too narrow for me. Top gear 100km/h roll on would be lagging behind the B1250 until 7,500RPM is on the clock. I felt big on it (I am)

There can be no dispute the FZ has more poke but us Aussies get dragged off the bike and shot for doing 140km/h if plod is looking. For my needs I'm sorry to say its no better than a well kitted Bandit 80% of the time. Facture in a chang over price of about $10,000 the FZ isn't 10k better than what I have.

That's my opinion of a current spec FZ against. Current spec B1250. Like I said I was dissapointed.
:cloud9:
I'm now on the hunt for a good Gen 1 as a shed mate for the Bandit. Then I'll have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I have just finished a trip from from Adelaide to Broken Hill, to Mildura, back to Adelaide over 3 days using 98 octane where I could and 95 sometimes and I worked it out to getting 18.7 kms a litre of fuel cruising at 110-120. and if I fanged it you can just about halve it lol

I have made some mods tho, I have block off plates, smaller flies, PC5, Ignition Module and FCE. K&N filter, Akropovic slip on and have also done what is known as the Lars Air Box modification. The bike had not been Dyno Tuned yet but hopefully that will happen this week. The map I have on it was from a FZ1 Gen 2 with the same mods but tuned in America.

Its also worth noting, I was tossing up between the Bandit and the FZ1 Fazer but decided to go with the Faser and have no regrets.

I kept very accurate accounting in a spread sheet for 4461 miles. I logged in every gallon and odometer reading on my stock 2005 FZ1. I am an old man ( be 70 years old this summer) and ride very conservative. I have averaged 48.67 miles per US gallon.

Back