battery bug

papaageorgio

Has anyone used this, I had a close call last year of being stranded cuz my 4 year old battery went sour enough on a 20 mile run to make my old ninja threaten to leave me stranded.

Waterproof Motorcycle Accessory Battery Bug Monitor & Volt Meter w/Alarm SUPER SALE - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

found a you tube vid on it to. Just wondering if this thing is familiar to anyone and if its worth $40

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayya5kOMmyY]YouTube - Battery Bug for Motorcycles[/ame]

Never even heard of it before, but while interesting at $40 it's a little steep in price. I mean that's half the cost of the replacement battery right there. Unless you have one (or more) of the cells in a battery suddenly short out there's usually some advanced indication that the battery is starting to go.

Yeah see I was going to say $40 is SO worth it to me if it will give me advanced warning that I'm about to be left stranded, HOWEVER, being that you say there are advanced warnings, please do enlighten us :) I just replaced my battery and it still dies after 3 days of no ridding :mad:

I just replaced my battery and it still dies after 3 days of no ridding :mad:

You must have a problem somewhere because it's completely unreasonable for a battery to go flat after 3 days of inactivity. I've left bikes sitting without tenders for months and months and still have enough juice to fire up afterwards--several bikes in my experience

I never used to own a battery tender and often had two bikes in the garage at any given time. One bike would often sit for a month or two without being ridden due to weather or maintenance or lack of insurance or whatever; I never had a dead bike. Even old bikes I bought from people who have had them sitting for god knows how long.

We're trying to sell my girlfriend's ZX-6R and it's been sitting in the garage for probably 6 months without a tender. Just yesterday I pulled it out to fire it up for a ride around the block & get it ready to show. The battery was flat, but only just as it tried to crank but just didn't have the gusto. This is a bike that has never been tendered and not often ridden in the 5 years she's owned it too, definitely not a shining example of a well-maintained battery.

We bought a tender and now it's back to business.

I would think that if your bike is going flat after 3 days there's got to be some kind issue there

Yeah see I was going to say $40 is SO worth it to me if it will give me advanced warning that I'm about to be left stranded, HOWEVER, being that you say there are advanced warnings, please do enlighten us :) I just replaced my battery and it still dies after 3 days of no ridding :mad:

When I said advanced warning I was referring to signs that the battery is going. One obvious one would be that the engine would crank slower or that it would go flat if you left your lights on for just a few minutes. However, picking up on these signs come from experience and maybe not everyone will pick up on them. In that case maybe this battery bug is a good investment.

And a dead battery after 3 days means that you have something draining power even with the ignition off...it's that simple. Now to find what that something might be might not be so easy.

When I said advanced warning I was referring to signs that the battery is going. One obvious one would be that the engine would crank slower or that it would go flat if you left your lights on for just a few minutes. However, picking up on these signs come from experience and maybe not everyone will pick up on them. In that case maybe this battery bug is a good investment.

And a dead battery after 3 days means that you have something draining power even with the ignition off...it's that simple. Now to find what that something might be might not be so easy.

Something does come to mind right away but I have to do some diagnostics first before I'll blame my alarm.

Well after looking around some more I think ill go with this combo since I was going to get the 12v outlet anyways, I just didn't like the price of that bug and this combo would be about $22
12 Volt 6' Extension Power Cord with Cigarette Lighter Socket RPPS-16ES - $8.99 :
MPPS16ES.jpg

31r%2Bc2AGGNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31r+c2AGGNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Something does come to mind right away but I have to do some diagnostics first before I'll blame my alarm.

Well that could be the culprit! If you can do it safely then disconnect the alarm at the battery and see if it still drains it after 3 days.

Talking about batteries, mine is new last fall, but the problem I'm having is that while idling, and I switch on the high beams, the computer/clock cycles off and on once.... What's up with that?

Back