battery recommendation?

cjbottaro

Mine is dead. What's good? Preferably recommendation in the low/medium/high price range. Thanks!

Also, when shopping for a battery, how do I know what will fit?

Be forwarned about Lithium battery drain when your bike is not running/charging

This is my first post ever to this website...

I am FRETTING looking for a battery for my bike. I have many accessories I want to power while the bike is turned off.

This is my situation:
1) I have a security system - this is ALWAYS on when the bike is off... what is the point otherwise?
2) I have LED lights installed under a fairing - I occasionally leave them on when the bike is off when I am at a social event.
3) I have a GPS that can charge while the bike is off.
4) I have a bluetooth intercom system that I can charge while the bike is off.

So note that I have a draw from the battery when the bike is not running or charging the battery...

I assume that, like me, MANY of you are going to have at the very minimum a security system on the bike... that you WILL HAVE ACTIVATED when the bike is not running. I have looked EXTENSIVELY into the new Lithium technologies and I just wanted to call your attention to the spec's of the 12 cell batteries... and the disclaimers about them... so, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION! You could make a pretty expensive mistake!

Ballistic 12 Cell Model spec:

Dimensions 113MM (L) x 87MM (W) x 100MM (H)
Weight 1045 grams, 2lb 5oz
Voltage (Charged) 13.6V
Amperage 6.9Ah
Cold Cranking Amps 360A pulse
Operating Environment -30°C (-22°F) to 60°C (140°F)
12 Cell EVO 2 (101-005) - $189.99

NOTICE THAT THE CAPACITY IS 6.9 Ah!!!!!! The capacity of a stock battery is 12 Ah – which is the same capacity of pretty much any other aftermarket battery I have found. The only “accessories” I had on the bike last season was the lights and security... and both were draining the battery too much and I am looking for something MORE than the 12 Ah... not HALF!

[NOTE that a very reasonable analogy is saying I have 12 gallons of gasoline to power something with as compared to 7 gallons! It is that straightforward a comparison… the CCA is how quickly you can “CRAM” the “UMPH” (if you will) into the starter motor to turn over the engine of your bike – you probably all know this about CCA’s… but if not, that is the gist...]

Now, on the flip side - if your bike has nothing draining the battery when it is off, THE LITHIUM BATTERIES ARE GOOD FOR STARTING THE BIKE... and are otherwise fine while the bike is running... If this is your application go ahead and try this technology! I damn well wish I could!

BUT... if you have ANY drain on the battery when the bike is off and not charging - you just might run into issues killing the battery... none of the manufacturers warrant this type of failure...

Now, in defense of what I state above, the disclaimer I mentioned before - specifically, on Ballistic's FAQ page [ Frequently Asked Questions - Ballistic Performance Components ] on their website - and comments in this likeness are alluded to elsewhere on their website - read:

"DOES THE BALLISITC PERFORMANCE COMPONENT BATTERY WORK WELL WITH A CONSTANT DRAW?
The current product has been designed and developed as a starter battery in a powersports application. If there is a parasitic draw on your powersports vehicle (such as an alarm) we recommend that you disconnect the battery when not in use. If the battery is completely drained the cells can be damaged."

I am, myself, ABSOLUTELY APPALED that a manufacturer would post on its website that you need to disconnect your security system... doesn’t this speak VOLUMES? Is this not a WTF statement? Just be FOREWARNED because the Lithium batteries simply have about half the capacity of the stock battery...

Update: I just re-references Shrai Specs:

ShoraiUsa - FZS1000 Fazer

either of these batteries should work for those who need high capacity...

as I post this, Shorai batteries are on approximately a month backorder...

Shorai LFX14A1-BS12: (14 Ah battery)

SpecificationsVoltage (V):12
A/Hr PbEq:14
Cranking CCA (A):210
Weight (grams):830.00
Weight (lbs.):1.83
Max Charge (A):14

Shorai LFX18A1-BS12: (18 Ah battery)

A/Hr PbEq:18
Cranking CCA (A):270
Weight (grams):960.00
Weight (lbs.):2.12
Max Charge (A):18

Next battery I get will be one of those "new" Ballistic Performance batteries from Motovation, saves about 8 to 10 lbs, and there is no acid.

Ballistic Performance 4, 8 and 12 Cell Lithium Batteries

ShoraiUsa - FZS1000 Fazer

either of these batteries should work for those who need high capacity...

as I post this, Shorai batteries are on approximately a month backorder...

Shorai LFX14A1-BS12: (14 Ah battery)

A/Hr PbEq:14
Cranking CCA (A):210
Weight (grams):830.00
Weight (lbs.):1.83
Max Charge (A):14

Shorai LFX18A1-BS12: (18 Ah battery)

A/Hr PbEq:18
Cranking CCA (A):270
Weight (grams):960.00
Weight (lbs.):2.12
Max Charge (A):18

Have you used one of these then ?

I know that some of the Lithium Iron batteries are supposed to be the Cat's AZZ but for my money, the good old Yuasa is still the best bang for the buck and I have one that lasted ten years in every day use. That's hard to believe I know but it's the plain truth.

Back