Be careful out there

I've seen some really good riers out there on the videos linked from this site. OK, I'm an "old fart" at least by the comparison to most riders here, but I got this way by learnig from some of my ealier stunts on motorized contraptions. Playing mr. raceguy on public roads is one hell of a good way to end up dead or worse (being confined to a bed or wheelchair for the rest of your life). It's spring now and we all want to get out and start enjoying what we like best which is to hit the throttle and ride as hard as we can. It only takes a month or so to start going soft on what we learned the previous season. The first week or two should be used to get familiar with the bike again. As I mentioned a while ago, sand in the road is hell on motorcyclists and even at 20 MPH you can get hurt pretty bad. I split by breast bone on what I thought was a mior spill in 1978. I was two-up and when we picked ourselves up I straightened out my shift lever and dusted myself off. We went on our merry way, a bit bruised but otherwise I didn't feel that bad. About two days later I was starting o feel worse, not better and finally a week later I went to the doc. because I was having a hard time breathing. I had split my breast bone right down the middle from hitting the handlebar. I lived and learned. Easy does it at first.

If your an "old fart" than what am I?? Your absolutely right on all counts. I am guilty as charged. I always leave my house saying that "today I'm gonna take it easy", but then I get on that mountain and you get that feeling. I really need to calm down and take it to the track. Videos are nice but you don't want to kill yourself for the sake of watching a vid. Also, the videos are probably about 8 minutes in duration, which is the extent of the "Hooliganism". Not that it counts for much, but we are actually docile going and coming to the mountain. At 47, if I fall and am fortunate to only break something, it will take me 3 times the amount of time to heal. I'll try and be a more responsible rider from now on.

So then unless we plan on doing some track time, is the Ivan's kit really necessary?

I for one think it is. It cleared up the issues my bike had down in the lower powerband, 3000rpm and lower. When you spend time in city traffic, it helps. There is no more bogging, and the stutter I had just under 3000rpm is all but gone. It also pulls like a bull now. I don't regret doing it.

Back