Been wrong for sooooo long. (A thread about coffee)

The best coffee is in Miami. There is a diner with a walk-up window around NW 138th St and SR826. You can smell the coffee Cubano on the street it is so strong.

Those little coladas are around $1.50 and are the equivalent of a large cup of regular.

Thanks for this thread, va

I used to hate coffee. Hated it. I so infrequently drank caffeine it that even a small cup of somewhat strong coffee would have me bouncing off the walls.

Then one day, someone introduced me to a simple latte with quality ingredients. 'Try this' he said. Three sips in, I was sold--absolutely delicious. I had no idea

I started looking into the merits of caffeine and found that it's actually pretty good for you as long as you leave the sugar and cream out of it. What's even nicer is that a smallish latte has next to no caloric value and gives your senses a little boost; great for riding and a perfect snack time bevvie on the road. :)

I still refuse to drink a cheap old cuppa joe, it just tastes too nasty.

This has been a great thread.
I have really learned a lot from all the coffee lovers. Since I live alone and don't really need a whole pot of coffee I have been looking at getting something that I can make one cup at a time.
Anyone tried one of these Starbucks Baristas?

StarbucksBartista.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a Keurig yet.
We have one and although the coffee is certainly more expensive than a pot (under $.40 is usually a good deal), it tastes great and is crazy convenient.

We have a Keurig at work... there's no way I'd have one of those here at home.. for the price of those damn k-cups, I can drive to McDonald's and get a cup of coffee.... plus it bothers the hell out of me that I can't make the size of coffee I want with one.. I have a 16oz coffee cup... if I hit the small cup on the Keurig, it fills it somewhere around 1/3 of the way... if I hit large, it fills it 5/8 ..

Gevalia ?

Mmmmhhhhhh , , , , yum yum
I'm hooked on the Gelvalia Coffee's that come through the mail !!

My wife and I have been drinking it for years and absolutely love the different blends for the many varied occasion's (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.)

In fact, we are always trying the new one's that come out . . . . however, their 'breakfast' blend is still our favorite !

Daaang, now I need a cup. Coffee, coffee, I need more coffee . . .. . :deadhorse:

All of this talk and no mention of the vaunted Starbucks - or did I miss it in the fine print somewhere?
No comparisons?
Howard Schultz??

The best coffee is in Miami. There is a diner with a walk-up window around NW 138th St and SR826. You can smell the coffee Cubano on the street it is so strong.

Those little coladas are around $1.50 and are the equivalent of a large cup of regular.

I work every now and then in Miami and I think I know witch coffee you mean. That stuff taste good and 2 shots of that stuff and you're wired up for the day.

We have a Keurig at work... there's no way I'd have one of those here at home.. for the price of those damn k-cups, I can drive to McDonald's and get a cup of coffee.... plus it bothers the hell out of me that I can't make the size of coffee I want with one.. I have a 16oz coffee cup... if I hit the small cup on the Keurig, it fills it somewhere around 1/3 of the way... if I hit large, it fills it 5/8 ..

I have one of those at home too. I don't buy the Kcup anymore for the same reason. I got one of those adapter with a filter screen inside and just use regular ground coffee from DD. After reading through the whole thread I'm thinking about getting myself a grinder now...

And I agree... If you like a big cup of coffee or need to make a few cup that machine suck! Or at least it does with the screen filter!

I'm a coffee 'snob' & have grinding my beans for 20+ yrs. tried all sorts of brands and am kind'a hooked on Peet's. Problem is its $$$$$! Hmmmm......addiction is a terrible thing!

I got a bag of pre-ground Peet's ... it smelled awesome, but I never got to drink any of it... with my Bunn machine, I typically use 11 scoops of grounds... well, the Peet's that was pre-ground was almost a espresso grind. It was so fine that it kept overflowing from the drip basket... so I decreased to 9 scoops... still overflowed... went to 6 scoops.. still overflowed... so if I went with any fewer scoops, it'd basically give me slightly brown water... I'd like to give it a shot again if I can just find it in beans...

I'm actually ashamed to admit it, but I have one of these:

S-TRP-ST.jpg

Saeco Talea Ring Plus Super Automatic Espresso Machine S-TRP-ST

And it is AMAZING. Beans in the top, water in the side. Get up, push a button, and it grinds and brews single cups on the spot. It tastes amazing compared to any other coffee maker I've had. The only thing that's better is a hand drawn cuppa from a real espresso machine, but those are 5x the price and 10x the work.

I rationalized the price (paid almost exactly $1k at costco) by ammortizing it over 5 years and comparing the price to starbucks- which isn't really fair since i still have to buy beans and maintain it, but at least it made me feel better about the whole thing.

PS: It steams milk as well. Makes great cappucinos.

that's some serious hardware there... a bit to high-tech for my needs...

Although... I need to get something new soon.. I'm on my 2nd cup of gas station coffee now... this stuff is horrible.

I admit I'm not a coffee guy. When forced to drink in long corporate meetings it was close to awful. But then I've been hearing about Starbucks and Howard Schultz bringing excellent coffees from Europe.. I wanted to believe it was much better coffee. But maybe it was the social and somewhat snob/elitist thing with Starbucks.
Which is it - or what is it? What really is good coffee? I haven't had a cup since my last nasty cup in a looooong General Dynamics engineering meeting - many years ago.
Tell true....

Coffee, like beer, wine, bourbon, etc is an acquired taste... and everyone's taste for coffee is different. My wife likes to drown her coffee with milk.. personally I can't stand and milk/creamer in my coffee. Some people only like Starbucks, some only like Dunkin Donuts coffee.... for the cheaper / readily available in the store stuff, I'm a big fan of Chock Full of Nuts coffee and Yuban.... I tend to gravitate more towards a darker roast than the lighter coffees...

I have a few friends who "like coffee" but their idea of a cup of coffee is to go to Starbucks and get some mocha soy latte raspberry nonsense... I don't even count that stuff as coffee... it's like drinking a hot cup of leftover Fruity Pebbles milk from a cereal bowl if you ask me...

You sure it was the coffee that tasted that good ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Yes..........I think so. I know I didn't add anything to it. For some reason, it was just great. Even the orange juice seemed better. I don't know why.

Back