best GPS for gen 1

bunky

I have an old GPS for my car and want to get a GPS dedicated for the bike.
Would like to hardwire it instead of cigarette plug.
What seems to be the most sought after GPS?

I have an old GPS for my car and want to get a GPS dedicated for the bike.
Would like to hardwire it instead of cigarette plug.
What seems to be the most sought after GPS?

I have a Garmin Montana for my bike. Much more money than the usual Nuvi line costs but they are water proof and have a nice clean mount that can be hooked to a bikes electrics. It is called the AMPS Rugged Mount. I attached the mount to a RAM arm on the handlebars and wired it to a connection directly to the battery. I used a spare connector that plugs into the battery tender lead. Using a RAM mount with the Rugged mount system allows me to quickly turn the GPS from "landscape" (sidways) to "letter" (upright).

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75226

Last edited:
Im going with my Garmin nuvi 40 gps which is a fine auto ops gps. Ordered the $6 handle bar mount off ebay and a 12v outlet mounted by the battery, no splicing needed, so you can switch back and forth.

The most sought after is the Garmin Nuvi. I'm not sure it's the best though, just popular.

I'm running a rightway 550 gps that I hacked to put my copy of iGo Primo on it. It's mounted to the handlebar with a mount I got off of ebay that included a waterproof case for around $15 delivered. For power source, I use the 12v outlet that I have in my powered tank bag.

That garmin montana look$ amazing! Currently the best gps for me is my iphone. I currently have it zip tied to this iphone car mount that is wired up through my riding jacket and connected to these in [ame="http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Quality-Motorcycle-Dual-Sided-Earphones/dp/B003JUN9YW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343167914&sr=8-2&keywords=helmet+speaker"]helmet speakers.[/ame]Everyday that goes by i do however wish there were better in helmet speaker options!

Back