Brake squeak after tire change

I removed the front wheel off my Gen II this past weekend to take to a reputable shop to get a new tire put on. Took care not to put weight on the rotors and re-installed it with no issue. Now there is an intermittent squeak coming from the area at very slow speeds. I put the bike up on a stand and was able to reproduce the sound with the tire spinning in the air, so I took the brakes off and the sound stopped. I examined the rotors to the best of my ability and didn’t find any evidence of bending or warping, or at least none obvious while spinning. I reinstalled my brakes and sure enough, the sound returned once I had given the lever a couple squeezes. I gave the rotors a quick spritz of brake cleaner and wiped them down and the sound remained. I rode the bike a short distance today and didn’t notice any issues with shuddering, wobbling, or change in brake feel or application. Rotors were equally warm and did not feel absurdly hot when I returned home. Should I rebuild the calipers or does this sound like a bent rotor?

I doubt that a rotor would get bent from a tire change or getting there and back. I've literally had 60 tire changes (both tires) on my Gen 1s from two different shops without issue. I throw them in the back of my truck in a pile on top of each other and never think about it.

There are a number of motorcycle fork / tire alignment articles and videos on the web. Not sure which one is appropriate for Gen II. I'd take the tire off and redo the process. Sounds like the wheel is a little off side to side. You may not have the axle tight enough or too tight. The fact that it spins freely in the air says it's currently not too tight. Some say to loosen both sets of rotor bolts and the axel then hold the brake lever in while you re-torque them. Tie the brake lever down if no one is around to help.

If you figure out which caliper is making the noise you could swap the pads from one side to the other. One pad may be worn more than the other.

Last edited:
Its possible your pads are glazed and friction is making the noise, but i bet you have a brake hardware issue. Id disassemble the hardware, inspect the pads/hardware for strange wear, replace as necessary and clean/relube the hardware on reassembly.

Are you running aftermarket pads?

Its possible your pads are glazed and friction is making the noise, but i bet you have a brake hardware issue. Id disassemble the hardware, inspect the pads/hardware for strange wear, replace as necessary and clean/relube the hardware on reassembly.

Are you running aftermarket pads?
I’m not sure but I’d imagine so, I just bought the bike and have been going through it.

Also, do you know if you put the pads back in the same place or maybe swapped sides ? I remember a couple occasions when I swapped pad locations and had a small amount of slow to stopping noise until the "edge" of the pads got worn in from the other direction they were in originally.

Also, do you know if you put the pads back in the same place or maybe swapped sides ? I remember a couple occasions when I swapped pad locations and had a small amount of slow to stopping noise until the "edge" of the pads got worn in from the other direction they were in originally.
Thats the result of bedding in pads, they always create a unique surface between the 2.

Back