cable lubrication

bunky

Hi again,
Just wondered if using a product called "jig-a-lube" or WD40 is a good choice to lubricate your brake and throttle lines.
I have seen some items that state its made only for cables.
Well I spoke with a mechanic WD40 is what they use.
Since I have both of the in my garage, why should I bother spending more money for a spray can of dedicated cable lube.
Any thoughts?

I don't think those are really suitable. WD-40 isn't a lubricant, more like a cleaner. It will work well for a short time but it tends to not last long

My experience with products like 'Jig-a-Loo' is that they get sticky over time and attract grime. Not something you want in your cables.

I use motor oil and a medical syringe set up from:
http://ezglidercablelube.com

It's not very expensive and works a treat

Hey Bunky, WD-40 is just fine to lube the cables. It's just a matter of getting it down all the way. There are "Clamp Type" tools which I'm sure you have seen already that get the job done, but I finally went and bought the EZ Glider System. It was someone on one of the forums I believe that started making these and now sells them. I just got my first set the other day and will make a quick video this coming Sunday as I lube all my cables with it. I think I paid $10 bucks for the complete set plus $5 bucks shipping.

IMG_4692_zpsa178b477.jpg

I use Tri-Flow. It is available in a small squeeze container with a long tube to insert in the bottle tip much like the red WD-40 straw. They have pressured cans as well. Anyway, it you go slow, the oil simply follows the cables via normal migration and gravity

Hey Donoharm,
I am using the cable connector item that wraps around the cable and then you shoot lube into it too.

I never heard of the needle style and looks to me a better item than what I have.

Will see if the cost to Ontario, Canada is cost prohibitive.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have the EZ-Glider kit just like Dustin and Billy posted. I haven't used it yet, but I bought a set for myself and my father-in-law. I think it will be quick, easy and effective with out too much mess. I'll try to take some pics of videos when I use them.

I use a clamp on cable luber that you insert a spray nozzle into. I use the same wax to lube my cables as I use on my chain.Done it for years on both on & off road bikes & have never had a sticking cable & only ever replaced cables due to stretching.

Back