Cant get 2nd gear sometimes

baggy

I have an issue sometimes on my bike when I have been stuck in traffic and the engine temp has gone over 100c the bike wont got from first into second it will only go as far as neutral I have to go back to first and give it a really good whack into second.

When I have been moving again for a while and the temperature has dropped it goes into second fine again.

Any ideas?

I have an issue sometimes on my bike when I have been stuck in traffic and the engine temp has gone over 100c the bike wont got from first into second it will only go as far as neutral I have to go back to first and give it a really good whack into second.

When I have been moving again for a while and the temperature has dropped it goes into second fine again.

Any ideas?

When was your last oil change? Clutch lever adjusted correctly?

When i brought the bike in August it was given a service with an oil change. clutch seems fine all other times, I might try adjusting it a bit

When i brought the bike in August it was given a service with an oil change. clutch seems fine all other times, I might try adjusting it a bit

It sounds like your clutch grabs a bit when things heat up and expand. The clutch doing that will definitely cause hot oil temps too.

i have a bit of trouble getting into second now and again after i started to wear mx boots when riding...was ok before

but i also have read that the odd missed gearchange now and again maybe just a yamaha thing with FZ and R1's

i have a bit of trouble getting into second now and again after i started to wear mx boots when riding...was ok before

but i also have read that the odd missed gearchange now and again maybe just a yamaha thing with FZ and R1's

I think this is the culprit. Sometimes a certain pair of boots can play tricks on the shifting. I have a pair of work boots that I cant wear while on the bike.:chat:

Had the same problem last week, I also thought that it was the clutch, but turns out I just need to change my motor oil problem solved.

Yea, the FZ1 transmission seems to be particularly sensitive to the mileage of the motor oil. I can always tell when it's getting close to an oil change just by the way it shifts.

Thanks

I adjusted it this morning so the biting point was further out on the lever. I will see how it goes.

Be careful. This will ensure that you're fully disengaging the clutch when you pull it to the bar, but you have to leave enough slack in the cable so that it's not pulling at all on the slave lever as you turn the handlebar lock to lock.

Yea, the FZ1 transmission seems to be particularly sensitive to the mileage of the motor oil. I can always tell when it's getting close to an oil change just by the way it shifts.

My dirtbike is exactly the same, clutch starts to feel weird and shifts aren't as smooth when its time to change oil (wet clutch system)

Back