Carb Leaking Help

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum as I just acquired a 2001 FZ1. The bike has been very well maintained and has 34k miles on it. One of the carburetors has a very slow gas leak. It looks like its probably happening because the gasket needs to be changed. However I noticed the leak on other areas where I am no longer sure. The pic below shows the areas that are wet circled in red. I believe the drip from the overflow is just the leak from above finding its way down. I have also ordered this kit for this carb to change the gasket, https://www.ebay.com/itm/362276998937. The leak is very slight, I would say maybe a couple drops a day. Along with the gasket there are some o rings, do I have to change them or can i just change the gasket?

Do you guys think that it is indeed this gasket? Or is there some other issue that is typical for the carbs on these bikes? When changing the gasket, is there any need to mess with the jets, idle, or accelerator screws? Or can I in theory just change the gasket and put everything back without messing with the "tune" of it? Any chance there is a write up somewhere on how to remove the carbs? I have the service manual for this bike so that is useful but a write up would be easier.

Thank you for your input and any help, I just do not want to start taking it apart without some other opinions as I have never actually worked on a carb. This would be my first one. I have worked on many cars and engines, just nothing with carbs.

I appreciate any help.

Carb Pic.jpg

Well, if you are doing the gasket swap with the carbs on the bike, I would be careful not to upset the float height. It may be just a simple gasket swap, however, if you are removing the carbs, then I would say to replace the O-rings as well since you have them off the bike and easily accessible.

Back