carb or ignition problems? HELP!!!!!!

Hi
first of all I just want to say what a great community U have here & thank you for all the info!!!
I bought a 2004 Fz1 that had been sitting for a couple years when you turn on the ignition it would pump gas all over the floor,so I pulled the carbs (incorrectly removed the throttle pos sensor) found 2 of the float valves were gummed up. cleaned out the carb jets etc made sure everything was freed up & put it back together.
Now the bike does not leak any fluids, but when you hit the starter it starts right away but after about a second & a half it sound like it is firing on 3 cylinders ( I turned up the idle all the way & when you hit the starter it revs way up for a sec .5 then goes to a missing idle @ about 1k) so I replaced the plugs & changed the oil, same thing-no improvement ,I bought this from a friend of a friend & they both stated it ran fine before storing it? I found the procedure for setting the TPS but can not get it to idle correctly?
what Next???? any Ideas>????
Thanks
Dave

Where did you set the TPS? At the 5k reading?

Next... Do you have mostly fresh gas in the bike? What's the fuel filter look like?

You say the bike sounds like it's only running on 3 cyl... But what happens when you gas it? Smooth out? Get worse?

Where did you set the TPS? At the 5k reading?

Next... Do you have mostly fresh gas in the bike? What's the fuel filter look like?

You say the bike sounds like it's only running on 3 cyl... But what happens when you gas it? Smooth out? Get worse?

If it smooths out when you give it gas then it the idle circuits are probably still gummed up. I don't think the TPS being out of adjustment is going to screw up the idle speed that much.

Thanks!!!

fresh gas,in order to set the TPS at 5k you have to set the idle first & to make it idle I have to turn it all the way up to get 1k. I will check filter & idle/low speed circut as it does smooth out when revved
Thanks

It sounds like one carb isn't staying full enough. Use an infra red temp gun on the exhaust headers to see which cylinder it is, then check the needle valve and float to make sure there is sufficient movement to allow enough gas into the carb.

Back