Cardo Scala Rider TeamSet

slyder1217

I've been searching for a good inexpensive comm system to use when the wife and I go out. The Scala Rider has not only intercom but Bluetooth and stereo MP3 player jack. After checking out several reviews online, I picked one up. Today was the first chance we got to try it out and here are my thoughts:

Installation:
The system installed fairly easily. The box claims 5 minute installation, it took me more like 15 because I'm very picky about where my speakers are placed. All in all the install is clean. On my Shoei RF-1000, the cables for the speakers tucked nicely between the liner and the shell.

Functionality:
First the Scala as a comm system. The audio quality of the conversation is very tolerable. My wife was easily understood and she could easily understand me, even at highway speeds. The noise canceling mics did a good job, the wind noise was hardly noticeable. The Scala is equipped with VOX which works but does require a fairly loud initial syllable to get it to activate. I found that a short blowing breath worked well to initialize the system and then I could speak at normal volume.

Now, for the Bluetooth functionality. The system was easily paired with my Motorola Droid. The system works again, as advertised. Call quality was good with the person on the other end having no problems understanding me (they were surprised when I told them I was riding my motorcycle at the time). The voice activated call answer was a great feature. I have yet to get the voice dial to work properly. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my phone or the system but I don't ever initiate calls on my motorbike anyway so I'm not overly concerned about this. I did try the system with the music player on my phone but the lack of A2DP means mono sound only out of the phone media player.

Finally, the MP3 player. This is a very nice feature. I plugged in my iPod, turned it on, stuck it in the tank bag and just let it play. The audio quality was ok, the small speakers have a real lack of low end but the clarity is good. The system auto mutes when VOX is initiated or a call comes in and then comes back when the call is terminated or the VOX is terminated.

Recap:
The Scala Rider TeamSet is to me a good value. It has a good deal of features and at around 250 bucks is not going to break the bank for a rider/passenger system. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

question on the Scala Cardo

My riding buddy and passenger has the Q2 Multi Set. If I ride with a him and my passenger can we all be able to hear each other? or who can hear who?

2 Bikes
Rider 1 Passenger 1
Rider 2 Passenger 2

From what I read I understand it as Rider 1 can talk to Passenger 1 and Rider 2,

can Rider 1 talk to passenger 2? or can Passenger 1 talk to passenger 2?
If not is there a better system to buy? the Teamset? Cant afford the G4 atm but curious if that is the best option for what I want it for.

question on the Scala Cardo

My riding buddy and passenger has the Q2 Multi Set. If I ride with a him and my passenger can we all be able to hear each other? or who can hear who?

2 Bikes
Rider 1 Passenger 1
Rider 2 Passenger 2

From what I read I understand it as Rider 1 can talk to Passenger 1 and Rider 2,

can Rider 1 talk to passenger 2? or can Passenger 1 talk to passenger 2?
If not is there a better system to buy? the Teamset? Cant afford the G4 atm but curious if that is the best option for what I want it for.

The Q2 set can talk to any two other riders but only one at a time with a manual switch of comms. With the G4 system, you can group talk with either three other G4 sets or, one G4 set and one G2 set. Hope this helps!

I believe it works as so... Link Driver 1 to passenger 2 and link driver 3 to passenger 4. Once the links are set you can start communicating. Passenger 2 hits button "b" to start comm with passenger 4. Then driver 1 presses button "a" to start comm with pass. 2 and driver 3 hits button "a" to start comm with pass. 4. Tada, everyone is connected. Sounds harder than it is, but it does work.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
does this all mount inside the helmet?waterprooof? I wont do anything external on my helmet

Waterproof? Well, I sent in this TESTIMONIAL to Cardo Systems which is #1 on their site today. :D

For sending that in, I got two free headsets (boom mic and speakers without the blue tooth module) and two free cigarette adapter chargers. :D THAT is customer service!!!

Thanks Eric, so the scala (q2) pro will work for the 4 of us.
and if we need to add up to 4 drivers and 6 people total, we would either need the G4's it seems.

Scala Q2

I've got a set...they're awesome....all my buddies have them too. After using a set on a group ride....I'll never go back to not having a pair.

Choppastyle.

the external unit looks huge! i have the chatterbox xbi2 and it works great fone wise and music wise. im waiting for my buddy to get back from the sandbox so i can test out the intercom.

Link up with Zumo

I have the Scala Rider G4 uint which I like very much. Wanted to link it to a GPS so bought the Garmin Zumo 660 which they advertise as cycle ready and bluetooth ready also. After trying to link with the G4 several days, finally contaced Garmin tech support. They tell me that the 660 and the G4 will not link and to add a little to my fire, will not link with my Samsung cell. By the way my cell will link with a cheap garmin I have for the car. go figure, a $150 unit will link and a $700 unit will not.

Back