CB1000R headlight on a FZ1 Gen 2

Hey guys,i am planning to go naked this summer,and trying to find the best looking and also cheapest conversion.
I really like the look of this CB1000R headlight,and I was wondering would it be possible to fit it on my FZ1 Gen 2.I think i would have no problem fitting the headlight itself, but i am not sure if it will be possible to fit my speedometer with it. Have anyone seen or done that here? And if not, what do you guys think about the idea? I'd like to hear your thoughts and concerns about it.Especially the guys who've done some kind of naked conversion already and have more knowledge in the area then i do.
y6yzesaz.jpg
gesygy6y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should be quite easy, just a matter of making a few brackets for both the light and the gauge cluster. Good luck and let us know how you go.

I checked the price for all the parts (headlight assembly + the covers) and it comes around $460 total.If it fit properly it might be the cheapest conversion,considering the fact that the Euro Kit cost more then $500 (and is not that pretty anyway).I think I will give it a try :)

I checked the price for all the parts (headlight assembly + the covers) and it comes around $460 total.If it fit properly it might be the cheapest conversion,considering the fact that the Euro Kit cost more then $500 (and is not that pretty anyway).I think I will give it a try :)

Keep in mind the EU kit is plug and play, making that CBR light work will involve chopping up the wiring, custom brackets and so on.

If your handy and ready for a few headaches , then go for it.

The problem you'll have is that the headlight will look like its out of place, the gen 2 tail is rounded, headlight is angular, won't quite "flow" but has LOTS of potential. To keep the front end more rounded, in keeping with the tail check to the LSL/mt03 headlight maybe

I mounted the cb1000rrheadlight to a street fighter r1.

I made the brackets myself.
Used strips of metal and bent then around a piece of pipe. Then put weather stripping tape inside.

I will try to find the thread I did on another forum when I get home tomorrow.

It was actually pretty simple.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I mounted the cb1000rrheadlight to a street fighter r1.

I made the brackets myself.
Used strips of metal and bent then around a piece of pipe. Then put weather stripping tape inside.

I will try to find the thread I did on another forum when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks man.That would be very helpful!I love the way your R1 looks.I hope i could do something similar on my FZ1.This headlight look so cool!

I used flat stock aluminum strps to make mine.
Measure your fork diameter. 50mm I think.
If you don't mind scratching your forls you can use them to bend the aluminum. If not, find a piece of PVC or a pipe with the same diameter.
After bending the flat bar around, use a C clamp where the metal meets to squeeze them together.
Cut the extra off at whatever length you need and drill the mounting holes where you want them.
I used weather stripping inside the clamp before mounting them to the forks.
making 2 brackets cost me around $13

Here are some links that might help you.
You might have to register to view.

You are basically creating something like this.
STAINLESS "P" Clamps - Rubber Lined 304 Stainless-Marshfasteners.com

Here are some links that might help you.
You might have to register to view.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23225

Good cheap 50mm brackets? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Fabbing headlight bracket - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

recommend me some fork mounted headlight brackets - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Bending aluminum to shape. - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

My build
06 R1 streetfighter project

Last edited:
Thanks, man!
I am still not 100% sure which headlight I will go with.I might chose the FZ8 one just because it is gonna cost me less work (and more time to ride), but either way I am gonna post some pics after conversion.

I always thought fz8n headlight was a bit girly compared to fz1n. and thats why I ended up with fz1 ;) anyway thats just my 2cent.
Looking forward for some update pics! :woot:

Ok Guys,after a long thinking I finally decided to go ahead with the FZ8 headlight just to save some money and because it is pretty much plug and play I'd save some hassles along the way and will get more time to enjoy the results. I found a website where I can get all the parts needed(including the meter stay and all the hardware to put everything together, for about $585 which after a long research I found to be pretty darn cheap.I have a question though!I do not want to cut my original wire harness, but I did not find a wire harness for the meter on the FZ8.This might be a stupid question, but do you have any idea if this (39P-82509-10-00 WIRE, SUB LEAD) includes a wire for the meter,because this is the only wire going to the headlight assy and the meter area that I found on the diagrams from yamaha.
If anyone knows that please help me out!

Ok Guys,after a long thinking I finally decided to go ahead with the FZ8 headlight just to save some money and because it is pretty much plug and play I'd save some hassles along the way and will get more time to enjoy the results. I found a website where I can get all the parts needed(including the meter stay and all the hardware to put everything together, for about $585 which after a long research I found to be pretty darn cheap.I have a question though!I do not want to cut my original wire harness, but I did not find a wire harness for the meter on the FZ8.This might be a stupid question, but do you have any idea if this (39P-82509-10-00 WIRE, SUB LEAD) includes a wire for the meter,because this is the only wire going to the headlight assy and the meter area that I found on the diagrams from yamaha.
If anyone knows that please help me out!

No wire for the meter if that's the N Mod sub lead. I stripped the insulation off my harness, took the meter wire up. Made a custom extension to my existing harness so all the extra bits can stay under the tank. Only needed to buy a couple of connectors for the turn sigs, a male to tap into 1 headlight socket and the main connector to the sub lead. You need a proper M style crimping tool also. Very hard to explain but I ended up with just the one connection to the headlight/turn sigs so the headlight can be removed by unplugging this one connection.

Back