Changing chain,sprockets on gen1 fzs 1000 2005

Brian mahony

Changing my chain and sprockets soon.a few issues have arrived when taking off sprocket cover on front.i removed gearing lever and footrest brackets.i cleaned of all the grease and rubbish around swingarm and around sprocket.i have a 36mm socket and wanted to check if it fitted front sprocket nut.washer has that special washer that goes around nut.i put my fingers on nut and nut was a bit loose .that washer was in place over the nut in 2 separate places..how is it possible that there was some free play in the nut if it has been securely held in place by that special washer..i am confused as to why there is free play🤔😩

One possibility is the previous owner didn't torque the nut sufficiently. Do buy a new washer and a spare, bend both tabs........ they're cheap insurance.

The fact it came loose isn't surprising when you consider the amount of torque, HP and chain slap that the nut has to contend with. Your chain was slapping more than most. Haven't had it happen on my Gen 1s, but did see it twice on my old GS1100.

Get a friend to stand on the rear brake pedal from the right side of the bike when you tighten it. I wedge a short 2"x 4" piece of wood between the depressed brake lever and the case if no ones around.

Good that you're doing everything, it's like a present to yourself once you're done.

Last edited:
Changing my chain and sprockets soon.a few issues have arrived when taking off sprocket cover on front.i removed gearing lever and footrest brackets.i cleaned of all the grease and rubbish around swingarm and around sprocket.i have a 36mm socket and wanted to check if it fitted front sprocket nut.washer has that special washer that goes around nut.i put my fingers on nut and nut was a bit loose .that washer was in place over the nut in 2 separate places..how is it possible that there was some free play in the nut if it has been securely held in place by that special washer..i am confused as to why there is free play🤔😩
I think the crankshaft nut is 34 or 35mm.
Definitely different from rear axle nut.

Back