Check engine light related to EXUP?

J_Slyter

Well, as some of you may know, Lytehouse recently got a new bike and I have been returning the FZ1 to stock. Part of that process has been to remove the MIVV exhaust and put the stocker back on. Unfortunately, that has not gone without some complications. I've got it all back together, and re-connected the EXUP cables, but upon doing a test ride, I've now got a check engine light showing up and it is throwing code 18 - EXUP servo motor (stuck). I can move the valve by hand at the exhaust, so it is not stuck. I've read that if the EXUP cables are too tight, that can cause the error, so I have since disconnected the cable at the exhaust. I went for another quick ride, and the check engine light is still on. So my questions are:

First, should the check engine light clear if it was the result of tight cables and I disconnected them, or once the error is set, does it have to be cleared by the dealer? Is there a way for me to clear error codes?

Second, since the check engine light did not clear with the cables loose at the exhaust, will disconnecting the cables at the EXUP box under the seat get me anywhere? I was hoping that the EXUP motor would be turning and pulling the cables (even though the exhaust end of the cable was hanging loose) and the fault might clear.

Third, What's the likihood that I somehow messed up EXUP motor reconnecting the cables?

Any thoughts on how to proceed are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
FWIW the first thing I have done when there's a check engine light on my car or truck is to remove the negative battery cable and leave it dis-connected over night. Sometimes the light has not come back on. Another thought-have you double-checked to make sure the EXUP motor didn't somehow get dis-connected? Good luck.

Does the ex up cycle when you turn ign on ? ... As far as I remember it should ,, and did you have the cables the correct way round , as this will jamm the motor possibly burning it out ,,

Well, I fault isolated it to the EXUP motor, it does not cycle when I turn the ignition on, but I do hear a hum from the unit. I had tape labeling the "top" cable, but who knows. I put those on about 5 years ago. Looks like I can get an EXUP eliminator plug for $50-$60 or I can go the ebay route and get a used servo motor for about the same, maybe a bit more.

Just checked my PMs on the 'other' forum - SoCalFZRider is who makes the plugs.

Thanks for checking. There seem to be lots of manufacturer's for these now. I just picked a vendor on Ebay that had shipped a lot of these and had good reviews. Ordered last week, arrived in a couple of days... All is good, no more fault codes.

Back