Checking chain tension on bike with no centerstand

Dansfz

Hello all,

I may be overthinking this, but what would be the best method for checking chain tension on a Gen2 without a centerstand? The manual specifies that tension should be checked on the centerstand, which was removed from my bike by a previous owner. I have spools and a rearstand, but when using the stand, the weight of the bike is supported by the swingarm which compresses it and increases tension on the chain. Checking on the sidestand has a lesser degree of the same problem, but finding the tightest part of the chain becomes a pain since the rear wheel can't be rotated freely. Would the best method be putting a jack under the rear shock linkage and lifting the bike until the wheel is off the ground? Feel free to tell me I'm stupid for asking.

Thanks,

Hello all,

I may be overthinking this, but what would be the best method for checking chain tension on a Gen2 without a centerstand? The manual specifies that tension should be checked on the centerstand, which was removed from my bike by a previous owner. I have spools and a rearstand, but when using the stand, the weight of the bike is supported by the swingarm which compresses it and increases tension on the chain. Checking on the sidestand has a lesser degree of the same problem, but finding the tightest part of the chain becomes a pain since the rear wheel can't be rotated freely. Would the best method be putting a jack under the rear shock linkage and lifting the bike until the wheel is off the ground? Feel free to tell me I'm stupid for asking.

Thanks,

Do you have someone who could hold the bike upright while you checked? If not, I think your alternative method would be fine.

I'm such a pleb, so take this with a pinch of salt; Put it on the rear-stand, make the adjustment, nip everything up and just put it down and look / feel for slack... Check semi-regular and you'll be OK.

PS My bike has no centerstand either :)

The older I get/more miles I've ridden, the less obsessed with maintenance I've become, lol. IMO, we are generally way too OCD with most of this stuff. A good quality chain, not overtightened as Isleoman states, should easily get you over 25,000 miles. I used to religiously lube my chains every 300 miles with the DuPont Chain Lube. After a few years, changed to 500 miles. I never have to adjust the chain tension. Currently have about 30,000 on the chain and it looks great.

A common problem ive seen in he rgv world is overtightening of a chain, ruining the bearings in the cassette trans.

Id rather have a loose chain than a tight one. But it has to be tight enough to not have a slow speed jerk.

I used to have a ton of slack on my last ysr50, so much so that it would pop a wheelie into second if done aggressively. :)

Back