Clunky shifting, missed shifts

My FZ1 2003 Bee is up in the 170,000s Kilometers and I hardly use the clutch for upshifting and frequently do clutchless downshifting with no problems at all.

I am on the original clutch and I treat it like my wife, many riders thrash their clutch (wheelie lovers stuff theirs religiously)

Like all good bikes learn the feel of the bike, be gentle but positive, eventually the anxiety will wane and you will become friends with the monster between your legs (The bike that is)

All of this comes with time, practice and patience and one day you will hop on your ride and it will feel like part of you and that feeling will last forever and you will have entered the world of bliss.

May that time not be too far away.

I think the priest said something like this at our wedding.

Clutch adjust and oil. I didn't peruse the whole thread, but I can say a good oil can smooth out some symptoms. I use mobile 1 synthetic. The clutch adjust is a huge thing as well, where it engages and releases.

my 02 does the same thing; i can hold the clutch in for a few seconds and it gets first smoothly.....do it fast and its clunky....they all do it....they downshift the same way.....i don't worry about it anymore....nature of the beast....

I have also had trouble shifting 1-2 with my FZ1. I've got nerve damage in my left leg and can't pull my foot up very well to get to 2nd gear. I actually roll my foot inboard for the upshifts instead of pulling up. That was compounded by my size 13 boots having trouble fitting my foot between the foot peg and shifter. So I had my shifter lengthed by 3/4 inch for more leverage on the shift shaft and better fit between peg and shifter. The shifter can also be adjusted fit different riders and shoe sizes. Also I believe the concern posted was the clunk when pulling the clutch and waitiing 5 seconds and shifting into first is normal. My bike has always done that, since the natural drag of the clutch plates means the shaft continues to turn at engine speed (no, not crankshaft speed). This is necessary to have the shaft contiue to turn to give the "dogs" a chance to mesh as you shift. Since the idle speed is fairly high compared to the old days of carbs. where a person could slow the idle speed way below what we see on the FZ1. Also something to consider is the horsepower these engines produce need a substantial gearbox so we don't break anything!

O.K., she been doing this since I picked her up.... feels like shes running out of gas... weird, hesitating kinda of feeling. Haven't seen anyone here posting about it, but....

Clutch Problem - FZ1OA Message Board

Anyone here got/had it?

Copyied the link... STILL can't post over there!

If you've had your tank up for service, make sure that your fuel line isn't "kinked". It sounds like very much like the symptoms you are describing.

Adjusting the shift lever can make a big difference. Mine was slightly too high, so upshifting was not natural feeling. But if you feel that you have to lift your left toes abnormally high, then I'll bet the shift lever is really too high. Lowering the lever should help.

Also, perform each shift with "authority". Don't be vague when shifting. This should avoid those occasional false neutrals. And about that - if you run up the RPMs in say first gear up high, and then shift into neutral by mistake, then do not let the engine drop to idle and then shift. It will cause a considerable clash. Instead, rev the engine back up to the RPM that it would have been upon a proper shift, and then go into the desired gear.

At a traffic light, I either stay in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, or if going into neutral, then wait at least 5 seconds before shifting into 1st.

I'll bet everything will improve as the bike gets broken in, and you get used to it. Good luck.

Last edited:
My 08 goes into 1st sounding like a house brick being thrown on a tin roof, it don't worry me at all. Now, let's not mention 1st also sounds like a 1972 Corolla in reverse...

Last edited:
Back