Clutch plate, order of installation help!

Prongomatic

Hello
I just installed a new OEM clutch pack and springs into my FZ1. After a test ride today I noticed slippage at 5k. The cable is new and adjusted correctly, and the oil viscosity is correct. The clutch boss, idle gear, bearings and all internals were good and within spec. Also everything was torqued to specs.
I used the factory service manual.
All of the clutch plates have dimples except one which is smooth, is the heaviest and is 2.3mm wide. Where in the order of installation does the smooth clutch plate go?
The local dealer told me it was the first plate installed after the 1st friction plate, clutch damper spring and damper seat. So #4 from the back. On the diagram attached it would be all the way to the right of #7.
Does this sound correct? The old pack that I pulled had it 6th from the back (in-between the blue friction plates)..
I know this is an easy fix, but I need some advice before I pull it again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Just for my own knowledge for the near future, do you have have four different weighted plates (per the diagram, items 3, 5, 7, and 8?

You are saying the smooth one was between the outer friction plates (item four on the diagram)? - If it is the stock clutch I would have it there I suppose. But by going from the diagram obviously there are four plates that should be the same item, one of which goes between the disks you are referring to - or am I looking at the diagram backward?

Given the diagram and it being the odd one out (only smooth pate) I would say it would be item 3 or 8 obviously, and the dealer said close to the basket side, meaning item 3 not 8, correct?

I have yet to take apart this particular bike's clutch, my two cents would be to match it with what you pulled out though instead of using the dealers memory.

Did you get the plates from the dealer? Were they all the same part number or where there four different plates you had to get/ a clutch pack?

How much was it with the springs?

The dealer states the smooth clutch plate is between #7 and #8 on the diagram. The service manual states that the clutch plates are different weights but gives you options for installation. The one I'm concerned about is the only smooth one in the kit.
I ordered the Yamaha OEM kit from Partzilla. I think the kit with the springs, bolts, gasket and locking nut was around $160. All of the part numbers match.
I also changed every coolant hose on the bike (The old ones started leaking), checked the valves and changed the valve cover gasket.

Partzilla gave me excellent customer service, free shipping and I googled the code for an additional %5 off. There was a one month wait for three of the coolant hoses that I ordered since they had to order them directly from Japan. I used tact and balked so they Fedexed the delayed hoses. Overall downtime was about two and a half weeks. Not bad for a winter project.

I'd probably put them in the same order they came out with the old clutch.
Did you soak the fiber plates in oil before installation ? ( you should )

Does the service manual have a measurement for total stack height ?
If so measure the stack and be sure it's within spec.

Aside from the cable itself, check the lifter and make sure it is completely disengaged. I haven't done anything to my clutch since my purchase so I haven't taken note of how to adjust the bottom side, but you may be able to adjust it there as well, and may need to if there was significant adjustment done on it previously. The cable is more for fine tuning. IMO.

Great success.
Today I pulled the clutch pack, re-soaked them in oil, shifted the smooth plate to the back and measured the stack. After installation, and a quick ride the clutch slippage is now gone.
Thanks everyone for the tips!

I noticed that when I was inspecting the smooth clutch plate that it was painted blue in the side. The first three friction plates during installation are part of the blue pack. (The order if installation of friction plates are (1) White, (3) Blue, (4) Black and (1) Red) With the clutch plates being every other.
So I took the dealers advice and put it between 7 & 8 on the diagram.

No problem. Why are you changing the basket? I took my dremel and took all of the burrs off my basket and polished it as best as I could. It's a fairly easy job, just follow the service manual.

I have close to 20k miles on the bike - I assume the clutch is stock. I am preparing for the worst I suppose. I don't want the plates to sit in there and have room to move or the problem will present itself much more quickly the second time.

Is this encouraged in the service manual? I have not heard of a manufacture recommending that - I have done it to plenty of dirt bikes.

I just hit 15k and my basket was fine. You have a Gen 2 correct? Since I have a Gen 1, I cannot speak for your bike. But unless your basket is bent, broken or warped you should be fine.
PM me your e-mail address and I will send you all the specs and info for the clutch. You can use it to get a better understanding on the basket.
But like I said, since you have a Gen 2, the procedures may be different.

Back