Clutch too stiff?

Hi,
My clutch is killing my arm. My tendons ache after just a short while in the saddle, because the clutch pull is too hard. How can I make that softer/easier ?

I've tried oiling the cable with 5-56, oiling the shaft/spring near the clutch case and it doesn't seem to help

I use adjustable stubby levers they seem almost effortless, If you have the longer stock levers I would think your pull would be easier. You might try taking the cable off at the ends and see if that is the culprit. You might have a problem in the clutch assembly itself the pull rod maybe encountering some abnormal resistance. As one last thought if you are suffering from tendonitis you may need to get a cortisone shot, When mine flairs up my grip strength drops to next to nothing and repetitive motion just makes it worse.

Do you have a straight pull on the lever?

If the lever is too high sometimes you will get a cramped hand.

Try lowering the levers (rotating forward) a little.

Hi,
My clutch is killing my arm. My tendons ache after just a short while in the saddle, because the clutch pull is too hard. How can I make that softer/easier ?

I've tried oiling the cable with 5-56, oiling the shaft/spring near the clutch case and it doesn't seem to help

I bought a new clutch actuating arm and had a shop extend the arm about 3/8". I did it for clutch feel, but it works for easier clutch pull too.

Cheers,

MrHix

Last edited:
I use adjustable stubby levers they seem almost effortless, If you have the longer stock levers I would think your pull would be easier. You might try taking the cable off at the ends and see if that is the culprit. You might have a problem in the clutch assembly itself the pull rod maybe encountering some abnormal resistance. As one last thought if you are suffering from tendonitis you may need to get a cortisone shot, When mine flairs up my grip strength drops to next to nothing and repetitive motion just makes it worse.

I just changed from long OEM levers to long china-adjustable pazzo knock-offs.
They seem to help a bit, but not enough. I guess the biggest problem is the condition of my hand. I just oiled the rod, spring and lever mechanism with little or no effect. I guess tonight is anti-inflammatory cream and a sauna :p

Do you have a straight pull on the lever?

If the lever is too high sometimes you will get a cramped hand.

Try lowering the levers (rotating forward) a little.

Good tip, I'll go out and check!
--
Yes, it was a bit too high, I'll lower it and see if it's any better next week

Last edited:
I just changed from long OEM levers to long china-adjustable pazzo knock-offs.
They seem to help a bit, but not enough. I guess the biggest problem is the condition of my hand. I just oiled the rod, spring and lever mechanism with little or no effect. I guess tonight is anti-inflammatory cream and a sauna :p

The last time my tendonitis flared up the doctor measured 15lbs of grip strength in my right hand, After the cortisone it jumped to above 75! I learned also from my desert riding days that gripping the bars too tight will bring on tendon flare ups. I have learned to ride with a relaxed grip and it really has helped.

The last time my tendonitis flared up the doctor measured 15lbs of grip strength in my right hand, After the cortisone it jumped to above 75! I learned also from my desert riding days that gripping the bars too tight will bring on tendon flare ups. I have learned to ride with a relaxed grip and it really has helped.

Hehe, relaxed grip is exactly how I'm trying to manage this, plus no unneccessary clutch work, the bike has enough torque. Plus I bought a gyro ball and a stress ball

They have been making clutch perches and levers to make the clutch pull easier for off-road bikes for years. Just do a little google searching and you will find many alternatives that are not very expensive and some that are expensive.

Google - easy pull clutch lever.

hehe I was just going to paste the link to that video .. Too bad it's so ugly .. Maybe I can find another one that looks less bicycle-like.

I was just outside and rotated the clutch lever a bit downwards, actually almost until the lever started touching the button array. Then I rotated the bars also a couple of degrees forward, thus lifting them up a notch so that I can get a finger and a half between the handlebar and the tank at full turn. It feels good, the pull is straighter, and I feel I'm sitting more straight up than before. Amazing what a couple of degrees turn can do to the ergonomics. Let's see if it makes my arm ache less.

Last edited:
hehe I was just going to paste the link to that video .. Too bad it's so ugly .. Maybe I can find another one that looks less bicycle-like.

I was just outside and rotated the clutch lever a bit downwards, actually almost until the lever started touching the button array. Then I rotated the bars also a couple of degrees forward, thus lifting them up a notch so that I can get a finger and a half between the handlebar and the tank at full turn. It feels good, the pull is straighter, and I feel I'm sitting more straight up than before. Amazing what a couple of degrees turn can do to the ergonomics. Let's see if it makes my arm ache less.

Sliding the whole clutch assembly in some can help too. Use leverage to your advantage so your fingers are grabbing toward the end of the lever.

Back