Cold-blooded or what?

My 2003 FZ1 which I just purchased screams like a banshee--when it's fully warmed up. When it's cold however, it's sometimes a bear to start. Then once started, and even after letting run for a few minutes, there is still a slight dead spot when I blip the throttle. Again, after riding on the highway a bit or whatever it takes to fully warm up the engine, the flat spot seems to disappear. The only after market mods it has is a Yosh pipe. It may have been re-jetted but I don't know. It only has 18,000 miles on it and physically it's in superb condition with nary a scratch on it. So, waddya think? Are the FZ1's so cold-blooded that they act the way I have described or should I be looking for a problem? I see wiring running to the carbs so I am assuming they are heated carbs, is that right? BTW, I have yet to read the owner's manual but that's next on my list as well as purchasing a service manual.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer and I'm glad to be a member of this forum.

Last edited:
While it is true that the FZ can be cold blooded, that little stutter always seems to show up in these first generation bikes. My bike came with a slip on as well and no jetting. I had Ivan install his jet kit and the problem is long gone. The bike is totally different now and is as smooth as a baby's you know what. Also the carbs have a Throttle Position Sensor, which is the wires you see. They are warmed however with coolant. I had mine bypassed since its only worth it if you live in the Artic Circle.

If the last owner piped the thing he should have rejetted it as well but may not have. The only way to tell is to get into those carbs. It might be a good idea to get a jet kit before you tear it down so you can get the thing jetted while your're at it. It sounds to me that you are having a lean condition right off idle and when the engine is cold you'll notice it more than when it's warmed up. You might want to check the plugs and look at their color, it they are white rather than a nice tan,that's another sign you are running lean further up the rpm range.

Sync the Carbs? Dirty Carbs? Cracked Boots? Dirty Filter? Throttle cables out of adjustment?

I'm no expert, just throwing out a laundry list of candidates. I've been fortunate for mine starts right up and purrs, unless it is below 30 degrees.

I'll be becoming more familiar here in the next couple of weeks with my own jet kit installation and porting of the boots along with an air box mod.

Oh Yeah, Welcome to the Forum!

BroHay

Sync the Carbs? Dirty Carbs? Cracked Boots? Dirty Filter? Throttle cables out of adjustment?
BroHay

I'll be checking all those things as I get more familiar with it. I do most of my own work on my motorcycles--I have three--so I should be able to figure out and correct the problem. With a little help from you guys of course.

Back