cold weather rain gear recommendations

Might have to commute 50 miles each way on the bike this winter. In need of some good recommendations for wet weather gear that won't break the bank but still keeps me protected in heavy traffic should my ride turn for the worse

please let me know what you guys have/recommend, price range, and any other relevant info

thanks in advance

Your best bet might be just picking up a rain suit and wearing that over your normal gear as needed. I went ahead and got waterproof gear to start with and then expanded what I have.

I have found that ski pants are inexpensive at the end of winter, are waterproof and are made to work with boots. My off-road enduro jacket it waterproof, has vents and fold into a fanny pack.

I have an Aerostich suit and it's just the best thing ever for commuting. On and off in seconds and you can laugh in the face of any weather.

It's warm enough that I don't even need a heated vest for short trips down to 0°F yet it's cool enough (with vents open) for 100°F commutes :)

Best piece of gear I ever bought. A used one offers good value, too. Mine was under $400 locally

Last edited:
Actualy rain gear is wonderful for keeping you warm down to about 50 degrees f. Below that there is no substitute for a heated vest combined with the rain geaar as a wind block. A large touring windshield and some hand guards are also useful for blocking the wind on cool days
snow3.jpg

I agree with Dustin. For that kind of weather, and the time you'll be riding Aerostich is probably the way to go, along with some electric undies.

Looking into an Aerostich, but none my size locally on craigslist. Will keep looking since I don't need it for another month or two. If you guys hear/see of one in Northern CA let me know..

Also, does anyone have any experience with the "Tour Master Centurion One-Piece Suit?" It looks like a wannabe aerostich but for a lot less $$. I'm sure you get what you pay for but has anyone had any first-hand experiences with it?

Last edited:
Danville, CA isn't a very wet place, so that is why I suggested the rain suit. I went with waterproof as a need for my first set of gear with exception of my Alpinestars mesh overpants because I had the waterproof ski pants already.

A 'stitch would be the best choice, but it costa bit more.

Actualy rain gear is wonderful for keeping you warm down to about 50 degrees f. [/IMG]

Totally agree! I learned this the hard way and remembered it.
Totally waterproof gear keeps all the water out. Well that keeps your body heat locked in. I can't afford the Aerostitch (even though it's awesome gear) so I dress in layers and bundle up until I can get to a comfortable point. I bought a rainsuit from one of the major suppliers (I think Revzilla) and I went with the one piece. If I had it to do over I would do a 2 piece. I chose 1 piece because I thought it would give me better coverage. However after having both I can say that the coverage is about the same but the 1 piece is a lot more bulky when you are packing it. That is very important as you will want to have something that you can pack daily. I up with Hail (Brad) a few days ago and he was telling me how he packed for his trip. LOL I laughed because my 1 piece would never fit in the bags that Brad had packed. The only downside to a 2 piece is that you can feel a draft coming up your back. I never had a problem with the moisture. Packing the rain gear will also give you something to protect your stuff on a commute. For example - if you have a laptop and it starts raining - you may need to wrap it up. That will give you a waterproof option. I think I paid around $60.

A MAJOR POINT....YOUR HANDS are the most important part. My bike is my every day driver and it has been for quite some time. Even when I had a cage I had to rely on the FZ1 for long distance trips so I have been doing this for a couple of years. You that you can duck down behind your windshield for some relief from the cold. Hug your legs to the engine and get some warmth, etc. BUT YOUR HAND ARE RIGHT THERE IN THE COLD AIR. There is no getting out of that because you have to hold the handlebars. I seriously recommend researching your options as to protecting your hands. I promise you that you will not regret it.

I personally bought the best set of winter gloves that I could buy. I don't even remember the brand, it was just what I bought at Academy. I took my thinest set of protective gloves and work 2 sets of gloves. It was not that bad but it is somewhat restrictive. I have also driven with just the winter gloves by themselves. They have so much weather proofing that I honestly think that they will protect me either way. Then I bought a set of hand guards just like you use for your dirt bikes.

MotorcycleHandguards_zps63931a44.jpg

I actually think these are the exact guards that I bought and I paid around $20. That was one of the best cold weather investments that I have made. Big thanks to TheWolfTamer for pointing me in the right direction. You can buy the name brand if you would like but it's not necessary. Also be very careful to research how the handguards are attached. I had to go with the "clamp mount" because I have a Throttlemeister so I cannot use the kind that slide into the end of the handlebars. Whichever you choose - just be sure it will work with your particular setup. Some guys have bought Hippo Hands. I don't like the idea of having my hands wrapped up like that but some people really like them. It is totally up to you BUT DO SOMETHING to address your hands. The cold can be absolutely brutal on your hands.

Your neck can also cause you problems. I like to wear a balaclava to keep the air off my neck. That will protect you from the wind as you are at cruising speeds. The balaclava will also help you keep warm by wrapping your head. Some people do not believe that makes a difference but I do. This is not rain gear but cold weather gear and you can grab one for under $20.

One more note on the commuting. Pay extra money for a good backpack (or whatever type of bag you prefer). I bought a Swiss Backpack and it was mislabeled. I was in Target and it got thrown in with some backpacks that were about 1/2 the price. The other backpacks were also 1/2 the quality. Since they were there together I could really compare them and it wasn't even close. I cannot tell you how well this backpack has served me. I have shoved so much into it over the years and it has held up amazingly well. I mean I have flat out abused it, shoved it so full that it was buldging and not one zipper has failed. It is such high quality that it even provides some protection from the rain. When you commute sometimes you will get "caught" in a storm or something blows in while you are working that was not forecasted. Plus I don't remember to check everyday so sometimes I pay for that. I am all about saving the $$$ but a good quality bag will more than pay for itself so do not skimp in this area.

Commuting is about comfort so do everything to be as comfortable as you can. The things I listed will cost you about $100 so that may be a start if you go the discount route (LOL Like I did).

Last edited:
I've had the tourmaster centurion for a couple of years now. It does the job, however, I'm not too thrilled with the armor, it's the cheap plastic crap that has one shape and it won't mold. Overall I think it's worth the cost but I know it would disintegrate as soon as I'd touch the asphalt. I have since purchased some really nice gear from these guys...Motoport. If I'm going down this is what I want on, no leathers, no anything else, this is the stuff!

Looking into an Aerostich, but none my size locally on craigslist. Will keep looking since I don't need it for another month or two. If you guys hear/see of one in Northern CA let me know..

Also, does anyone have any experience with the "Tour Master Centurion One-Piece Suit?" It looks like a wannabe aerostich but for a lot less $$. I'm sure you get what you pay for but has anyone had any first-hand experiences with it?

Back