Cold Weather Tire Performance

Hey guys, I went for a ride yesterday and noticed less than stellar tire performance from my rear tire, most notably braking and cornering. Several times I had the rear wheel lock up and slide on me when braking(I cant recall ever having done that). It felt bad enough I stopped what I was doing and checked the air pressure...35 psi.

Now what would cause that? I think the temp was around 40. FWIW I still have the stock tires on, which are some fairly crappy Michelins that they put on the 2007's. Is that what I should expect from these tires in the colder weather?:smokin2:

Schrader

Try the regular powers, as these work well on our bike. I never use the rear brake. When using the front, slow at first, then either a little harder or very hard if not in a twist.

I am always off the front brake BEFORE the twist/flick, unless I mess up the stupid twist, or am going steep downhill in a tight twist.

The back locks easily on our bike, not the tires really. (g2 bike, that is.)

Get Code's Twist/wrist booklet. Think I've read mine 200 times, or so. I just keep reading it because takes me awhile, sometimes. Getting to know it pretty good now, though.

Cold temps require a lot longer for tires to heat up... until they get up to proper temp, any tire will not have the grip you're accustomed to... changing to a different brand won't fix that.... also.. if you've had snow recently... the roads will be crap for a good long while... around here, after the snow finally stops.. it takes a month or more for the roads to get back to where they're providing "normal" traction characteristics... salt, sand, gravel... just general crappiness in the pavement takes a while to work itself out... unless you're lucky and get about 2 weeks worth of rain after the snow stops.

Hey guys, I went for a ride yesterday and noticed less than stellar tire performance from my rear tire, most notably braking and cornering. Several times I had the rear wheel lock up and slide on me when braking(I cant recall ever having done that). It felt bad enough I stopped what I was doing and checked the air pressure...35 psi.

Now what would cause that? I think the temp was around 40. FWIW I still have the stock tires on, which are some fairly crappy Michelins that they put on the 2007's. Is that what I should expect from these tires in the colder weather?:smokin2:

Schrader

It's not the tires or the pressure!!!!

If your on cold pavement your tires can't heat up enough because the pavement is constantly cold your tires will be cold.

Not enough heat generated will make you feel like your on glare ice.
I saw a girl up here in Canada today wipe her 600RR Honda out, the bike hit a pole and she hit a snow bank. She's ok but the bike was written off it doesn't matter the tire when it's cold roads watch yourself.

reg powers warm up fast, but don't know what they do in 40f. I do recall seeing some ice in the little bot dot nicks at the top of Mt Hamilton, on my loop a couple months ago. Snow on the side of the road, but road itself was dry. Riding for just less than 2 hours.

Bike felt good, but I got a bug about that ice and decided to stop and feel the tires before doing normal stuff. They were warm. Yeah, so I was alright about that.

Possible it was around 40 in that little stretch, but don't know. FOR SURE it was WAY warmer earlier in the ride. I'd say at least 50 f, maybe a little warmer.

So I don't know what reg powers would in warm up time if always in 40f.

Back