Common?

AndrewM87

So I am new to FZ1's and believe I will be keeping this bike for quite some time. What are some common mods to the FZ's as far as suspension, exh, electrical adds, lights, sprockets etc. Anything and everything you can think of. If it's already listed then if someone can point me in the direction that'd be great!

Mine has an Ivans jet kit with a Yosh slip on. the stock seat is very comfortable to me so I don't think I'll be getting a gel seat unless I find one for REALLY cheap.

What do you recommend? The blinkers will be the first to go on mine though... I love the naked look combined with the small front fairing for the high speed wind deflection. So I wont be going FULL naked. Looking into some Puig touring screens in a bit as well.

DSCN1594.jpg

Here's a great thread for you to read through. A lot of the owners here have listed up their mods. Should you have questions about a specific one, you can come back here to ask, ask in that thread or click the owner of the post and send them a PM. :D http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/96-list-your-mods.html

I'm not really familiar with the GEN I but we've got several here that have totally tricked theirs out and I know they will chime in. Without further ado, I hand you Aaron! :D

welcome to the ranks of the Gen I owners.....and also the bike where you can get more bang for the buck in terms of mods (providing you can still find certain items.....)

All cosmetic is good -- but I believe one of the best investments for your ride is getting the suspension up to snuff....

Motorcycle Suspension by Traxxion Dynamics is one of the places to have service performed, but it also comes with a hefty price tag.....

You can have the factory rear shock serviced for around 200 (add another 100.00 if you decide to change out the spring, 600+ should you opt for a Penske or equalivalent) but the front can start at 300 and go up to over 1000.

not for the faint of heart....but well worth it in the end....

Here's a great thread for you to read through. A lot of the owners here have listed up their mods. Should you have questions about a specific one, you can come back here to ask, ask in that thread or click the owner of the post and send them a PM. :D http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/96-list-your-mods.html

I'm not really familiar with the GEN I but we've got several here that have totally tricked theirs out and I know they will chime in. Without further ado, I hand you Aaron! :D

I'm the other "A" -- Adam

Have you considered leaving it as is? I have never understood the need to go out and change half the bike into something it wasn't designed to be, and that most people can't even tell the difference.

To me, it is a testament to the greatness of a bike to just leave it alone and enjoy it the way it came.

I once had a guy trying to poke fun at me because I hadn't pulled all of the stock stickers off the bike's fuel tank and swingarm. You know, the fuel cap warning and the chain adjustment guide? Yet that same moron was riding around with his wife on the back with nowhere to put her right foot because he had put a high mount exhaust on his bike and it required removal of the right passenger peg. :wtf:

but if you are over 150lbs. -- your weight exceeds the factory setup to properly handle everything that might be thrown at it....don't get me wrong -- it'll muddle through, but the ride is soooooo much better when it has the proper springs/valving working in harmony...

as for the leaving stock --- there was once a rider who claimed to leave it untouched....was going to be the next trendsetter.....yet he too has succumbed to the modding addiction. I'll let him chime in should he decide to make it public knowledge....:poke:

Ooops! Sorry Adam! I picked Aaron because I don't think anyone has modded a GEN I more than he has on this site. ;) Where've you been? It's almost too cold to expand the garage now! :D

finishing hotel and remodeling the house.....up @ 5 -- work for 4hours, got to the regular job, then come back and work another 4 hours and then CRASH....repeat until finished.....

as for the modding -- after my next round -- I'll be in the same ranking -- just don't have the multiple bikes (plus working/running a shop) to always be the most coherent....

I really have NO problems with the suspension but would like to know the possibilities. I do need to adjust the suspension for 2up riding. My girl has no desire to ride herself so I ride 2up a lot. Love doing it, just wish she wished to learn.

then if you are two up riding.....might give consideration suspension mods -- I don't claim to know alot, but your stock setup, in two up, is definitely not performing to its absolute best....

Ok... here we go.... here's my setup starting from the top and working down....

Billet Aluminum Blue FZ1 Master Cyl Cover
Rizoma Grips
Rizoma Bar-ends
Pazzo Long Levers
1" Handlebar risers
Stock Windscreen, cut flush to the top of the fairing.
Carbon Fiber Inner Fairings
Traxxion Dynamics Revalved / Resprung forks
Forks measure at 7mm from top of triple clamp to top of fork cap (Quickens Handling)
Fren Tubo Brake lines front and rear
Brembo Brake Pads front and rear
Frame Sliders (eBay)
Flush mount turn signals in front (eBay)
Integrated turn signals in rear.
Givi Luggage Setup
Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat with backrest for lady
Gilles Rearsets
StompGrip
Penske 8983 Double-Clicker Rear Shock

Performance:
Modified Air-Box
K&N Air Filter
127.5 Main jets
Floats set to 14mm
Fuel screws at 3.25 turns
Factory Pro Titanium Needles
Ported carb boots
Factory Pro Timing Advance
MIVV GP Carbon Pipe

Also... Does anyone know what parts from other bikes are compatible with an 03 fz1? Is it just 02-05 or do parts transfer from the r1's as well? Can't seem to find anything on it with the exception of the 02-05 fz1's.

Back