Complete fluid change, but....

AndrewM87

In a couple weeks I will be doing a complete fluids flush and replace on my 2003 FZ1 (Silver color :D) and it doesn't have the quantity of brake fluid in my manual. Does anyone know how much brake fluid for the front and rear brakes? I will also be changing my fork seals and need to know the quantity in each fork. I tried calling a local dealership here but everytime I call they are freaking closed. They changed their hours to some weird ass hours. Normally when I change fork seals it takes half a quart to each fork. Each time I have done a fork seal replace it has been on a different bike though and I knew the quantities. If anyone can help me on this it would be greatly appreciated!

I will be flushing my coolant and replacing as well as changing oil/filter and changing my brake fluid. Don't forget those fork seals and oil too! Then I will completely detail my bike and I am on the search for some random stuff for my bike atm. Tires, windscreen, brake lines and whatever else I feel like purchasing.

Any help is appreciated. I'm thinking of adding one of those Clymer shop books to my list of things for this very reason.

FZ1 Specifications should give you all the good info you're looking for along with torque specs. I believe that chart is for the GEN I bot a lot of it applied to the GEN II folks as well.

Forks are (each) 435 cm 3 (15.3 Imp oz, 14.7 US oz)

Best bet? Use a measuring cup and dump/pump each fork into this until it is drained. In a clean measuring cup, measure the same amount of oil to put back into each leg.

Hope that helps!

-Eric

I wouldn't worry about the quantity of brake fluid needed as that is going to vary. If you're flushing the brake system then you want to keep running brake fluid through the system until it's coming out clean at the bleeders. The amount of brake fluid used for this is going to vary. Just go out and get yourself a pint (16 oz) of it and you should be good to go.

As for fork oil there are two things you need to know. The weight of it and the distance (usually in mm) from the top of the compressed fork to the oil level. I can't give you anything more specific than that since I don't own a Gen I and don't have a service manual for it.

Give Lee @ Traxxion dynamics a call. Great Guy and can probably give you more info than you need.....above is regarding the forks

Changed the oil and coolant yesterday. Thank you for that first specifications post, that is a lot of info!

Going to change my fork oil today. Tore them down yesterday and all they need is the oil and adjusted. Thinking about bleeding the brakes, just depends on how much time I have.

Turns out the seals that the guy ordered specifically for my bike are incorrect as they are leaking horribly... Now to take it all apart again and get them to get me the correct seals. Gahhh!

Back