Conti Road Attack 2 or Metzeler M5?

PK1

I'm starting to think about replacement tyres for the OEM Dunlop D221 (what are these things anyway...touring?) in short while. My riding is typically a short jaunt up some twisty roads around Sydney (I think you call it "canyon carving" in the US??).

I'm thinking of either Conti Road Attack 2 or Metzeler M5. Or maybe the Conti Sport Attack...perhaps these are more on par with the M5?? Any thoughts?? Anyone with first hand experience?

PK1

Metzeler: Metzeler Tyres

Conti RA2: ContiRoadAttack2-Microsite

Conti SA: http://www.conti-online.com/generat...letires/sport/sportattack/sportattack_en.html

Last edited:
Guys,
I went to the tyre dealer on past saturday and got 2 brand new Metzeler Sporteck M5 Interact. My choice was between them and the ContiSportAttack (both of them are sport tyres while ContiRoadAttack are more suitable for tourism, IMMO), but the seller ran out of the rear Continental, so I had no alternatives and I went for Metzeler. On Sunday I had a commitment, so I could rode just a few miles, just to take the wax away. I could test them in the proper way riding to work in the morning. My first impression is... they are absolutely excellent, I like them very, very much. They warm-up in no time, and they immediately make me feel confident on them. The profile is similar to the M3, so even it is not the quickest I ever tried you can't say at all it is slow. And for sure its best is the feed-back of of pure stability it communicates. I used to have these Metzeler Sporteck M3 I rode a few less than 5k miles, and I loved them, very good tyres also, I still recommend them if you are looking for a good compromise between sporty and high-mileage tyres. But this new M5 interact has something more, definitely. My only concern is the 17 miles (of total 35) I ride on that stupid highway on my way to the office. I already noted a not encouraging stripe in the middle of the back one. I guess they won't last more than 3k miles (3.5 in case of a stroke of luck), but doesn't matter, they are so sweet. So, I dunno regarding ContiSportAttack (the seller said other customers were absolutely enthusiast), but I'd loved my M3 and I am going to love the new M5 even more.

About the tyre pressure, my dealer (he is involved in some motorbike competition in Italy) suggested 2.4 (35.3 psi) atm on the front and 2.5 (36.75 psi) on the back (when you ride on the road). On the M3 I used to keep 2.3 atm (33.8 psi) on the front, and when he took it off he immediately said: 'this tyre ran a little too flat, look at these steps on its sides. Need to keep it at 2.4'. FYI, I never ride my FZ1 on a track, just on the road.

Last edited:
Compared to the D221's either of those tyres will be awesome.

I haven't tried the Metzeler M5's myself but everyone that I know that has tried them liked them a lot.

The old Metzeler M3 (which I have tried) is also an excellent tyre so you would think that the m5 is better again.

ps Do you want to go for a ride on Sunday?
I'll be going through the Old Rd to Terrigal for lunch and back again?

Compared to the D221's either of those tyres will be awesome.

I haven't tried the Metzeler M5's myself but everyone that I know that has tried them liked them a lot.

The old Metzeler M3 (which I have tried) is also an excellent tyre so you would think that the m5 is better again.

ps Do you want to go for a ride on Sunday?
I'll be going through the Old Rd to Terrigal for lunch and back again?

Hello mate, I'd love to go for a ride......BUT, I've got to work so I can't go - sorry. :doh2:

Back