Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Good tire but not so good in the wet

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Had a set but wouldn't buy them again

• Heard they were crap and won't buy them

• Total voters
Looking at a set of Continental Sport Contact 3's. But I've never had Continental's before and I can pick up a set for $189 a tire fitted in Sydney.

What do you all think of them?

Last edited:
I know when I was into "scootering", that Continental was a big name in 12" scooter tires yet I usually wound up going with either Pirellis, or Avons. I remember liking their tread patterns better.

I think they make the "Road Attack" sport tire if I'm not mistaken. I thought I heard that those were pretty good tires.

I just seen them and read the review. They look pretty good but are tires really that much money in Austrailia???? Check out Nexen Tires too. They are pretty good sport tires for your car at a reasonable price.

I just seen them and read the review. They look pretty good but are tires really that much money in Austrailia???? Check out Nexen Tires too. They are pretty good sport tires for your car at a reasonable price.

Yeah Billy for a very good quality 'Performance' tire it is.
I'm after 235/45R17's, which is a common size for our large size sedans here. The cheap ones in this size are $130 to $160 and the good quality (bridgstone, goodyear, dunlop, falken, Khumo, Toyo, Pirelli, etc) are minimum $220 ea.

Man! Thats alot of money for rubber! If I lived there I'd have to own a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper! LOL! I'd buy my car based on the skinniest tires. Hahaha!

Yeah I keep telling the wife that this country stinks because everything has an over inflated price on it all! Just take the FZ1 for an example, I noticed that your dealers have only just recently pushed the price above $10,000 US. Our Recommended price last year for a 2010 model was $17990 AU. And our dollar was just bordering on parity with the greenback last year! Bloody australian import duties are killing us here!

i had a set of continentals on my cobalt... never again would i but continental, after 5k miles they stared having premature wear,( car was brand new) then at 7k miles there were chunks out of the tread. at 14k miles they were almost completly bald. i notified both GM and continental and wanted new tires cause they were crap. i personally would never buy another set of continentals for either my car, truck or bike. customer service sucked too. theres my 2 pennies

i had a set of continentals on my cobalt... never again would i but continental, after 5k miles they stared having premature wear,( car was brand new) then at 7k miles there were chunks out of the tread. at 14k miles they were almost completly bald. i notified both GM and continental and wanted new tires cause they were crap. i personally would never buy another set of continentals for either my car, truck or bike. customer service sucked too. theres my 2 pennies

Thanks!
I must admit to reading a few reviews that said the only down side was they don't last as long.

Check out General tires. They are owned by Conti and their higher end tire is very good. I had a set on my MB 500 and loved them. The best part is they were only $95 each. OEM tires are terrible, like the ones Yamaha uses, so you can't fairly judge a brand by that.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Man! Thats alot of money for rubber! If I lived there I'd have to own a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper! LOL! I'd buy my car based on the skinniest tires. Hahaha!

The only experience with Continentals is on my Kawasaki (TKC 80's). I really like those.

As for tires on a Mini being cheap Billy, think again. The Cooper S that I have uses "run flat" Goodyear RSAs (205/45/17) at $370.00 a piece. No room for a spare unless you want to put it in the back seat.

I like the Toyo's Extenza A/S. They have a great service life and rival any michelin, goodyear, bridgestone tire out there for the money. A buddy bought some and we put them on his wifes car and snow and rain they were great. Plus I bet you can get the tire dealers will knock of 10 to 20 bucks off of each tire, toyo runs some pretty good sales weather the dealer publishes them or not.

Looking at a set of Continental Sport Contact 3's. But I've never had Continental's before and I can pick up a set for $189 a tire fitted in Sydney.

What do you all think of them?

No experience with the Sport Contact 3, but my next set of tires will be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Great all around tire that can handle some snow (probably not a concern for you...lol). Right now I have a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's and they are very nice as well. Just not crazy about how quickly they are wearing.

By the way you can read reviews and tests about the Contact 3 here:

Continental ContiSportContact 3

No experience with Sport Contact but I do have a set of Extreme Contact Continentals. About 2/3 the price of the Michelin Pilots they replaced. After 15,000mi no noticeable wear, improved ride and much quieter. Huge improvement in the wet and snow (you might not worry about that too much down unda). I like 'em.

The only experience with Continentals is on my Kawasaki (TKC 80's). I really like those.

As for tires on a Mini being cheap Billy, think again. The Cooper S that I have uses "run flat" Goodyear RSAs (205/45/17) at $370.00 a piece. No room for a spare unless you want to put it in the back seat.

Not on my Mini pal! Once the OEM Rubber would need to be replaced, I would not go with the Goodyears. My Mini would then be rolling on 90 dollar tires for sure. The Coopers that are on my Olds, 205/75/14's, cost me $150 bucks for both fronts mounted and balanced. That was exactly two years ago and they both still look new and have even wear. I never had an issue in the rain or snow and they are very quiet.

I work in a specialty tire and rim shop in Canada, and I have to say that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the best value going right now for an all-season performance tire. I am dying to skin the Dunlops off my Mitsubishi so I can slam a set of them on. They perform beautifully and don't wear fast at all. I would recommend them to anyone with a sporty coupe (BMW 3 Series) or sport sedan (Lexus IS). They work nice on pretty much anything that isn't quite considered a "performance" car.

My wife's drives an '04 SVT Focus (her third). It came with Conti Contacts which handled very well in the dry, as they were a Summer tire. The Contacts were a softer compound but still went at least 35K miles.

I put Conti Extreme Contacts on during the Winter; these are great in the snow but noisy and felt like being on a gravel road.

The Extremes never really did wear out but the Wife wanted new tires so I put a set of the new Extreme Contact DWS on it. They are as quiet/smooth as the Summer tires but nearly as good as the previous Extreme Contacts in the snow. I can't say how long they'll last but believe the Treadware Rating is 480. Much cheaper than Michelins or Pirellis, hard to beat. I definitely recommend Contis.

My wife's drives an '04 SVT Focus (her third). It came with Conti Contacts which handled very well in the dry, as they were a Summer tire. The Contacts were a softer compound but still went at least 35K miles.

I put Conti Extreme Contacts on during the Winter; these are great in the snow but noisy and felt like being on a gravel road.

The Extremes never really did wear out but the Wife wanted new tires so I put a set of the new Extreme Contact DWS on it. They are as quiet/smooth as the Summer tires but nearly as good as the previous Extreme Contacts in the snow. I can't say how long they'll last but believe the Treadware Rating is 480. Much cheaper than Michelins or Pirellis, hard to beat. I definitely recommend Contis.

Glad to hear about your experience with the Extreme Contact DWS. They will be my next set of tires once my GY Eagle GTs wear out. I need/want something that handles well in the dry and yet has decent snow traction.

Ok, thanks for everyones responses.

As I have had Maxxis tires on the car for the past 2 years, and they have been very good tires, I rang the the tire dealer (Bob Jane T-Marts) where I bought them from to ask about some Bridgestones (as I can't get to sydney before we go on our holiday to get the Continentals).

So when I asked how good do the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 stack up compared to the Maxxis MA-V1's we have been driving on, he said the Maxxis' will last longer and they have bought a huge amount of them from the USA and they have 2 pallets of them at the store on special for $129 each!!!!

So after all that, it looks like I'm going to grab another set of Maxxis tires. The wife didn't want me to drive 2 hours just to get a cheaper set of tires anyway. She wanted me to get the bridgestones, but after hearing about that price she's happy with the Maxxis'! After all she's the one who drives that car every day with the kids in it.

Back