coolant drain nut

silentg

hi, sorry for being a pain but could someone please take a pic of the coolant drain plug and upload it here. im a little unsure of which nut it is :D and dont want to undoo the wrong one hahahahahaha

I forgot all about this, but a bit of advice, that coolant bolt is SO easy to break or strip, it's much easier to just drain using the hoses my friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, like Missy stated......disconnecting the hose is better. That little nut on the bottom of the pipe is aluminum, I think. It is very delicate ;) I can tell you (unfortunately), you don't want to have to extract it if it snaps! Don't need that "extra" step. ;) :D

Mine broke when trying to tighten the bolt after I had drained the coolant. It would not suprise me if others had the same problem when removing it.

I'd like to remove it to fully drain the coolant and replace it with a stainless bolt. Not sure to try if others have snapped it on removal.

That may work. I think it's more when tightening it. And stainless steel would be better...****But, note that the Yamaha nut is threaded in a peculiar way. Other nuts you can buy may not thread the same......I ended up ordering another from Yamaha when I had to replace the nut.......********

Also, maybe the temperature when doing it? When I did it, it was the first time I ever snapped a nut. I had flushed the radiator twice one evening - so 2 times of removing it and tightening it back on. Each time, it was still somewhat warm (radiator, engine).

The next morning, I went to complete the third step and put in the coolant. Well, it was cold of course. I had left the nut off as it drained from the night before. When I went to tighten it, (cold) it snapped off. Pain in the ass after that. :doh2: :gagged:

Last edited:
I used a metric socket. It's just hard to "feel" if it is tight enough.......and then snap (too late). I will always just disconnect the hose in the future. ;)

I used a metric socket. It's just hard to "feel" if it is tight enough.......and then snap (too late). I will always just disconnect the hose in the future. ;)
You talked me into it. Could'nt bring myself to undo the bolt after all the advice so went the hose way. Used a suction the get more out of the pipe.

I changed my coolant recently and fortunately had no breakage on the drain plug. Next time I'll be real careful or use the hose. Interesting to note - I measured the drained coolant and only 50ml were left in the system. My coolant volume did include removal and draining of the plastic overflow tank. That tank is a pig to remove!! One way out and in around the monoshock. Next time, I will still remove, drain and clean the overflow tank - fussy sucker for punishment!! Anyone know if there's an easy way to get that tank out?? I know I can fill, run and drain clear water but I only use distilled water in my cooling system and do not want any contaminants in the there. Probably over fussy but I love my N model!! Cheers.:)

Back