Coolant flush

dduck

I did my first coolant flush in preparation for my first track day. It was easier than expected. I found the instructions more complex than the job. For one there are no instructions in the OM.

Hope this helps somebody.

1. be on the side stand
2. take off the fairing on the right side. (the part that makes accessing the radiator cap hard). It takes 4 screws being removed.
3. Unscrew coolant drain plug (little if any coolant will come out)
4. Make sure drain pan is under the drain and remove radiator cap and fluid will drain.
5. Pour some distilled water in and it will flow through.
6. Put drain plug back in and fill with water or 50/50 with distilled vinegar.
7. Warm up the motor let run for a bit then let Fully cool down.
8. Repeat draining process and then fill with desired coolant.

Many people talk about removing plumbing, siphoning, etc... Doesn't seem to be necessary.

I did my first coolant flush in preparation for my first track day. It was easier than expected. I found the instructions more complex than the job. For one there are no instructions in the OM.

1. be on the side stand
2. take off the fairing on the right side. (the part that makes accessing the radiator cap hard). It takes 4 screws being removed.
4. Make sure drain pan is under the drain and remove radiator cap and fluid will drain.

Many people talk about removing plumbing, siphoning, etc... Doesn't seem to be necessary.

were is the forth screw?
or are you referring to the drain plug bolt as the forth screw?

changing the coolant is easy.
just do not do as i did. common drain/recycle can, over flowed with oil. what a mess on the floor. :shame: :eek:

You have oil in your radiator?? :confused:

I read it as his drain container... he uses for oil and coolant and other fluids... he overflowed it and it already had oil in it...

and not all track days require you to drain your coolant, but if you do it is still recommended you throw in some water wetter or purple ice (just check with the org to see what you can use).

yes a common drain container.
i drain the oil. and pour it in to a five gallon can. also the old coolant went in there as well as the "flushing" water.

hard to put 6 gallons in to something that only holds 5 gallons. :frown: :rant: :doh2:

1. be on the side stand

What about the reserve tank?

Back