Coolant for my 2006??

My coolant reservoir is below the min line. What type of coolant do any of you recommend? Can I just use like Peak from an auto parts store?? It’s a 2006 with under 5000 miles on it so I do not want to risk damaging anything. Any suggestions??

I dont think you can mix different coolants. Drain the lot and refill. Maybe look for leaks first though.

Keep the leftover and stick to one brand.

Im in the same situation and have been doing research this week.

Its cheap and easier enough.

As the others have said it's due for replacement so go ahead and drain the old coolant. I always use the Prestone 50/50 premix on my bikes and have no issues. Cheap enough and does the job...

Thanks everyone!! I plan on just draining the old and putting in new. Also, thank you for the drain plug warning. I will just drain it from the hose. Forums are awesome!!

My brother is picking up some prestone 50/50 as we speak so I should be riding again in a few hours.

Thanks everyone

I dont think you can mix different coolants. Drain the lot and refill. Maybe look for leaks first though.

Keep the leftover and stick to one brand.

Im in the same situation and have been doing research this week.

Its cheap and easier enough.

There is no issue with mixing, they are compatible. But OPs bike is ready for change.

Any coolant compatible with aluminum block engines will be identified as a "DEX" product.

If it includes the reference to "DEX", you are good to go. Other well meaning references are irrelevant regardless of the vociferous exclamations of their sponsors.

I agree - heard of strange reactions with brand mixing. Cheers.

seeing as how most antifreeze is made by just a couple company's. it should be mostly the same, also the feds say how the stuff is made and to what levels. just like oil, and gasoline. all must be made to a set level or better.

you would have more and bigger problem with something solid (junk, rust, flaking, leaves, etc). in the cooling system. :hook2:

Well, it appears antifreeze brands and colors have the same type arguments similar to which brand of gasoline is best, or which oil is superior. The truth: it doesn't matter. Most water cooled engines work on ethylene glycol, and all brands have the same active ingredients, the same ingredients that are listed on the back label of Yamaha Yamacool pre-mix antifreeze which is used when the bike is prepped for first use. The color is different, that is all (usually yellow or green). You can pay about $34/gal for the Yamaha branded ethylene glycol or go to any Walmart or auto parts joint and get the same product for a fraction of the cost. If I was going to just top up the overflow tank I'd probably add the Yamaha brand just to keep it consistent (and it is available in a 1 qt bottle), but on a total flush I'd use a name brand at a fraction of the price. Your choice, your money, but mixing of ethylene glycol antifreezes is perfectly fine. Yellow or green, it's all the same chemically. The Yamaha product is Made in the USA and most certainly comes out of the same factories where the big automotive brands are made.

Any coolant compatible with aluminum block engines will be identified as a "DEX" product.

If it includes the reference to "DEX", you are good to go. Other well meaning references are irrelevant regardless of the vociferous exclamations of their sponsors.

The antifreeze used in GM cars and trucks is formulated differently and is called Dex-cool, it is a controversial product. These OAT (organic acid technology) products are usually dyed orange and although GM says you can mix the conventional types with it it probably is not the best idea to do so. Dex-cool type blends are supposed to last 5 years, their main claim to fame.

I would not use Dex-cool antifreezes in an FZ1 ..... I would stay with the recommended ethylene glycol based products which are fine for aluminum block engines. Part of the controversy with OAT products is that they contain plasticizers which can cause gaskets to leak, I'd pass on any "DEX" type antifreezes. GM denies any problems, but I would not fool around with it. There have been MANY class action lawsuits against GM for damage caused by this product, but since GM went into bankruptcy these lawsuits went into limbo. No thank you.

Last edited:
I would not use Dex-cool antifreezes in an FZ1 ..... I would stay with the recommended ethylene glycol based products which are fine for aluminum block engines. Part of the controversy with OAT products is that they contain plasticizers which can cause gaskets to leak, I'd pass on any "DEX" type antifreezes. GM denies any problems, but I would not fool around with it. There have been MANY class action lawsuits against GM for damage caused by this product, but since GM went into bankruptcy these lawsuits went into limbo. No thank you.

I agree with you about the Dex-cool stuff. Stay away from it and if you have it don't mix it with regular ethylene glycol based antifreeze under any circumstance.

Back