Coolant questions..

Hello all. TGIF right?

I'm in limbo about what to use for coolant...

Just noticed my bike was low, and now I have no idea what to use in it. A local order said to use royal purple purple ice. However I've noticed that it is an additive, not an all out coolant. Does this matter?

What do you guys use?

I've been using just the regular coolant that they sell at the dealer. It's a Honda Brand but that shouldn't matter. That's the YZF. I had switched over to Engine Ice on the FZ1 before I sold it. It's kind of pricey and I didn't really see any big difference in terms of temps. I'd just go with the coolant they sell at the dealer.

I flushed and replaced my coolant about a year ago. I just used standard (green) automotive coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. No overheating issues here - deep in the heart of Texas...

I flushed and replaced my coolant about a year ago. I just used standard (green) automotive coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. No overheating issues here - deep in the heart of Texas...

Standard "Green" antifreeze is formulated for cast iron blocks and corrodes aluminum blocks. Antifreeze intended for aluminum blocks is bright, rusty orange, is made by all manufacturers and is labeled "DEX" somewhere on the label.

Standard "Green" antifreeze is formulated for cast iron blocks and corrodes aluminum blocks. Antifreeze intended for aluminum blocks is bright, rusty orange, is made by all manufacturers and is labeled "DEX" somewhere on the label.
Most cars etc have alloy head`s, waterpump`s and so on,so saying it corrodes alloy block`s is a new one to me?

I'm pleased that I was able to show you something new. Unless you're on the frequency that "I didn't know about it so it can't be true".

In that case, I can't help.
It`s surprizing Yamaha here in Australia don`t use it then [at least in any motorcycles that I am aware of], I am not saying there`s any thing wrong with Dex type coolant ,just make sure it is never mixed with the normal ethylene glycol or the mono ethylene glycol [ what I use] type

Last edited:
I'm pleased that I was able to show you something new. Unless you're on the frequency that "I didn't know about it so it can't be true".

In that case, I can't help.

It's not that green corrodes aluminum it's that the silicates in the green eat the water pump seals. The corrosion is negligible. Dex will also cause corrosion if not maintained properly.

Hmmm... This is straight out of my manual:

"Cooling system *Change with ethylene glycol anti-freeze coolant every 24 months."

I see no mention of "DEX" anywhere in the manual. Not saying the DEX product would not be better, but I'd certainly think Yamaha would say if the "green" was harmful??

Hmmm... This is straight out of my manual:

"Cooling system *Change with ethylene glycol anti-freeze coolant every 24 months."

I see no mention of "DEX" anywhere in the manual. Not saying the DEX product would not be better, but I'd certainly think Yamaha would say if the "green" was harmful??
After doing a little research on coolants the general consensus is, if your motorcycle/car has been using either ethylene glycol or the Dex type coolant from new do not change as it is just about impossible to remove all traces of them from the cooling system and the two DON`T mix. MY 1995 hilux with 290,000 kms has been using ethylene glycol since new and still has the original water pump so I am not concerned about green type coolant eating water pump seals, just make sure you keep your coolant regularly maintained.

Don't over think it and just top it off with whatever color/kind is in there. If you want to change the fluid, get as much out as you can and replace it with whatever makes you happy. I use water wetter but I don't live in a freezing environment.

Aw, Shucks............

Well.............ya got me.

Regular antifreeze in its natural state, contains something called silicates. These silicates are deposited on the bare metal of an engine block and tend to slow down the heat transfer between the block and the coolant. These silicates also are the cause of the acidity increase in coolant over a period of time, and this increase in acidity causes corrosion of the metal. This is the reason for periodic coolant changes. When a system is flushed and new coolant is added, the metal walls of the engine block already have these silicates deposited on them from the original coolant, therefore the silicates in the new coolant have no place to go. These silicates are somewhat abrasive, and can begin to eat away at aluminum parts such as water pumps, radiators, and heater cores on the newer cars. This prompted GM to come up with a new type of coolant. Dex-Cool contains NO silicates but is otherwise chemically identical. This makes for better heat transfer between the engine and the coolant, no corrosive action to the metal, and no abrassion to aluminum parts. This is why it will last 100,000 miles.

I apologize.

I called my Yamaha dealer what to put in when running low. They told me to add green antifreeze. That is what they used in my last service.

Lähetetty minun GT-I9505 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Back