Cooling Fan issues

Gday All
My gen 1 FZ1 has been overheating on short city trips lately. I noticed my fan wasn't working but i have just tested the fan and its working fine also checked fuses no prob there either. Just wondering where am i going to find the fan relay and or the temp sensor if such a thing exists. And of course hoping someone here has had a similar prod and fixed it real easy?

Gday All
My gen 1 FZ1 has been overheating on short city trips lately. I noticed my fan wasn't working but i have just tested the fan and its working fine also checked fuses no prob there either. Just wondering where am i going to find the fan relay and or the temp sensor if such a thing exists. And of course hoping someone here has had a similar prod and fixed it real easy?

sounds like a classic thermostat failure problem. take the thermostat out and test it by putting them in the boiling water. if it doesnt open, thats the problem. you will need a new thermostat :) hope this helps

Gday All

Yeah, if the fan is not working, but it checks out good with power put to it directly - and the fuses are good - it seems you are on the right track. Chasing down why the fan won't turn on is the thing to do.

Short trips likely means a lot of low speed or idling in traffic - little or no air flow through the radiator - precisely the time the cooling system needs the fans on.
A temp sensor and then a relay would be my prime guesses, too.

I had the same issue on my last trip. It turned out to be the thermostatic switch that screws into the rad. A new one solved the problem. I didn't at the time realize I could jumper the fan to keep it going. It was a inexpensive fix and if you are quick can be done without draining the rad. The other possibility is the thermostat, that controls the flow of coolant, again an inexpensive part, but you will need to drain your system (at least most of it) to replace it.

Back