Cortech Super 14 Tank Bag

Cortech Super 14 Review

In preparation for a busy travel season I went looking for a new tank bag. My old one was too big and the wrong shape for the FZ-1. It was a 28 year old Eclipse and served me well over the years. This time I wanted a magnetic one with a base that would be easy on the FZ’s skin, as well as easy to deal with at fuel stops.
I found the Cortech Super 14 and it checked all the boxes.
The bag measures 10 “ wide at it’s widest point, the front facing end. It is 13” long and 7” high at the front of the case. It tapers down slightly to the rear where it has a sturdy, rubber over nylon, molded handle. The rear also has a clamshell shaped pocket with a two-pull zipper, which is big enough to fit the included rain cover and a 2-foot safety tether that can be attached to the steering head and the clip at the bag’s front. The top lid has a two-pull zipper as well, and all 4 zipper tabs are rubber coated. The map pocket on the case’s top is removable and is securely attached with two Velcro strips and three snaps. The top lid also has an Eyeglass case on the outside top front of the case. The glasses compartment has a single pull zipper and 2 elastic straps inside to secure your glasses. The two forward snaps for the map case attach to the glasses case’s top adding security to that compartment.
The entire inside of the main compartment is lined with a material similar to the lining of a helmet, soft and plush. The inside of the main compartment’s lid has 3 pen pockets, a wallet size pocket and a small tether sewn to it presumably for keys. A spare visor, Camera (SLR) and rain suit fit inside with no trouble. The map pocket is on the smallish side with the useable area being 7” X 7”. The rear single snap is blocking the last inch of the window. The map pocket loads from the bottom end and is sealed by a Velcro strip just above the lower snap. I would think you would have to submerge the bag before the map got wet as the bottom of the map pocket is rubberized. The case did include a Rain Cover, which fits nicely and has an elastic cord that has a cinch tie as well. The stitching on the bag all seems solid and the snaps have a rubber covering.
One of the snaps had pulled off its base and when I pointed this out to the salesperson, they offered me $25.00 off the list price. I readily accepted since I knew how easy they are to fix. I took the photos of the bag outside before fixing the snap so you may notice the right one on the top of the bag (lower piece) missing. When I got it home I used my Bostich rivet gun with a 1/8” #30 rivet and it was done in less than 30 seconds. Line up the lower snap piece with the original plug, insert the rivet (through the center hole) and snap it’s fixed! Not bad for $25.00 off.
IMG_0153.jpg

The bag’s base is a rubberized, suede-like material that is velvety to the touch, but grippy. It has two kidney shaped flaps each containing two magnets the size of $2 dollar coins (about 1 ¼ “). The base itself has 4 more the same size at the corners. When I brought the bag home it was empty and there were 40 mph crosswinds. The bag never at any time moved. The rated capacity is 10 lbs, (as per the enclosed instructions). There is a couple of other interesting features. At the rear, under the handle is a Velcro closure. Open it and out come two narrow (but padded) backpack straps with adjustable nylon hook ends that attach to the plastic “C” clips on the bags sides. There is also a wire port on the right side near the rear for fishing a headphone jack through, etc.
The bag has an internal material that is stiff and keeps both the bag’s shape and the lid’s shape when opened. It was well designed with zipper placement and features. The outer shell material is a type of tough nylon similar to my old bag. With a bit of care it may last just as long.
I will update as a long-term test in the fall after a season of camping etc.
IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

In the spirit of "show me don't tell me" a couple of shots of what fit in the bag. The black nylon bag is the 2 piece Tourtech rainsuit in its carry case. I used my old Canon Elan 7 with the battery grip because it's a fairly big SLR, and since I was shooting with the Rebel T1i. The small square by the visor is my Nikon Coolpix L-16. The destinations highway book is a constant companion on the road so it had to fit or the bag would be useless. I do not believe that it exceeded the recomended 10 lbs. The zipper closed easily and cold have held a bit more.
Cortechpacking1.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

If you can find this bag in the states, or on-line for around $100.00 it’s a deal.

Last edited:
Duability

I had some durability problems with this bag. Two zipper tabs snapped off and the glasses pouch, on top, has seen the seam separating. I gave it no abnormal wear. (see my review in reviewed products) I do think it's configuration (size) is perfect for the FZ1. BTW, I still use the bag, just disappointed with quality.:tdown: Hope you have better luck.

Last edited:
Back