Cortech Tank Bag

I give the Cortech Magnetic Super14 Tank Bag a big :tup: ***update*** :tdown:
***UPDATE****
I can no longer recommend this tank bag-wearing out with only light use. Fabric separating at seam and zipper tap broke.

I was looking for a tank bag to carry a substantial amount: that is, for commuting to work, overnight trip, small amt. of groceries etc. I'd purchased a MotoPak bag which, was well made but just didn't fit the unique shape of the Gen II tank. The Cortech fits the Gen II perfectly.
2.) Keeps it's shape, i.e., does not collapse when not loaded
3.) Soft, no slide material on bottom, against tank
4.) Magnets-with the rubberized bottom, anchor bag to tank
5.) Size: not too big and not too small
6.) Removable map pouch

Dislikes:
1) No expansion
2.) Map pouch is small (typically will not recieve much use.)
h_r3.jpg

Last edited:
I gave an earlier version of a Cortech bag a shot -- I'm just not a luggage kind of guy. If I can't get it in my daypack -- then I go without....

I hope it works out for you in the end -- don't know how, but it looks like they have changed the design a bit.

Adam

I have a Nelson Rigg Tank bag that's expandable... I've had it for about .... 4-5 years now... it's a great little bag... I have the matching Tail Bag as well.... plus Givi sidecases... I can carry a lot of stuff when so motivated....

I have the slightly smaller Cortech Super10 tank bag and like it a lot. Big enough to bring along on day rides w/o getting in the way too much.

Has anyone noticed the tank dulling over time when using a magnetic tank bag? I really like the Cortech shown here, but I don't want to scuff up my nice shiny tank.

Has anyone noticed the tank dulling over time when using a magnetic tank bag? I really like the Cortech shown here, but I don't want to scuff up my nice shiny tank.

Magnet or strap, both will come in contact with paint. Haven't noticed dulling, though it probably happens, but with other bags I've seen scratches.

The Cortech bag has a unique material (?) against the tank. Cortech calls it, "Protective non-slip, non-scratch mounting base". We'll see.

There's a product from http://http://www.thetankslapper.biz/ ,which is a thin, clear film and attaches to the top of the tank by static electricity. It’s intent is to protect tank against abrasion caused by tank bags.

Something occured to me about that very problen and a possable cure. I think alot of us have seen somewhere or read of a vynyl that they put on high-end luxury autos. It's used instead of a bra to protect from chiping and road junk. Standard on cars like Bently. Something like this might protect the tank from scuffing and paint wear, provided it's removable at some time in the future.
www.clearmask.com

Last edited:
I have this bag - I think it's great - no problems with seams, zippers, etc.... seems exceptionally constructed to me. I would send it back if it's falling apart! I don't use it every day - but mine shows no signs of any weekness.

I haven't used the map pocket - took it off.

I can fit a helmet visor in there, the rain-proof cover, sunglasses, wallet, two phones, tools, and if I want to, a jacket-liner - it's bigger than it looks!

I haven't noticed any scuffing on the tank - that layer is really soft. the magnets are very strong.

-Jeff

Something occured to me about that very problen and a possable cure. I think alot of us have seen somewhere or read of a vynyl that they put on high-end luxury autos. It's used instead of a bra to protect from chiping and road junk. Standard on cars like Bently. Something like this might protect the tank from scuffing and paint wear, provided it's removable at some time in the future. www.clearmask.com

Here's a tip on keeping your tank bag from scratching your tank:

Get some of the non-slip shelf lining material from Wal-Mart/Target/Home Depot/etc in the color of your choice. Cut it to fit the bottom of the tank bag and put that between the bag and tank.

Grip Beaded Shelf Liner - Black (18x5") : Target

Funny this topic came up now. When I was started the bike over the wekend I just noticed for the first time that my tank is dulling in the spots where the magnets attach.

Any suggested products for un-dulling those spots?

I've been using the shelf liners when I'm carrying a travel bag where the bungie cords touch the rear fairing (or whatever you call that plastic behind the rear seat). I'll start using it under the tank bag. Great suggestion!

Last edited:
I have this bag - I think it's great - no problems with seams, zippers, etc.... seems exceptionally constructed to me. I would send it back if it's falling apart! I don't use it every day - but mine shows no signs of any weekness.

I haven't used the map pocket - took it off.

I can fit a helmet visor in there, the rain-proof cover, sunglasses, wallet, two phones, tools, and if I want to, a jacket-liner - it's bigger than it looks!

I haven't noticed any scuffing on the tank - that layer is really soft. the magnets are very strong.

-Jeff

Thanks for the feedback! To return the bag was too risky. I had no guarantee they wouldn't determine the damage was my fault and then I'd of paid shipping both ways and still have my problems.
I still use the bag and like it's size and function. The issues are more disappointing than functional. The seam separtion is on the top glasses pouch, and easily repaired ( not alot of stress there as I hardly ever use the top glasses pouch). Also, I can do w/o the zipper tab as there are two zippers for that particular compartment. I hope my expirence was unique.

Last edited:
Funny this topic came up now. When I was started the bike over the wekend I just noticed for the first time that my tank is dulling in the spots where the magnets attach.

Any suggested products for un-dulling those spots?

I've been using the shelf liners when I'm carrying a travel bag where the bungie cords touch the rear fairing (or whatever you call that plastic behind the rear seat). I'll start using it under the tank bag. Great suggestion!

I buy the 3M liquid polishing compound at Wal-Mart or wherever. Can be applied and polished by hand, but it is MUCH easier with an orbital buffer. Use an orbital buffer, and there's no risk of burning through the paint.
After the cleaning/polishing-apply your favorite wax.

Back