Couple of quick fz1 noob questions

Picked up a used 03 a couple of weeks ago.

Previous owner had the bike lowered using an adjustable(holeshot) link for a rear. I've put it back to stock and moved the front forks.

Question, do the forks sit flush with the triples? Pic attached of where they sit right now after moving them.

And second question is there a good base suspension settings for these bikes for a 190lb rider, i know the stock suspension is in need for an upgrade, that on my to do list in the winter.

Jay
shocki.jpg

Yes, they sit flush from the factory however most guys will raise them through about 5 to 8mm's to make turn-in a bit quicker. I had mine set at 5mm and it worked great for me. I have the suspension settings from my 01' somewhere. Let me look for them and I'll post them for you. Just remember that I had it set up for a 240lb rider so you may have to "back-off" the settings I had just a little bit.

Okay, these are right from my notes. Don't ask me where I had gotten them from but they worked excellently the first time out. I'd go 2 to 3 clicks softer than what you see here in the diagram and then try it out. Then adjust as you feel fit.

FrontSuspensionSetting.jpg

I'll post up the rear settings as well since you should adjust both front and rear.

RearShockSetting.jpg

Let me know how it goes.:cheers:

So for the front Preload (Blue Knob Atop Fork) I would set it to show "2 Lines"
The screw in the center of the Blue Knobs is Rebound and I would set it "all the way in" and then go 6 Clicks Out. The Compression (Bottom Of Fork) I would set it "all the way in" and then come out 5 Clicks.
****Just remember NOT TO go too far with the Clicks. You will feel when it can't go anymore, just don't force it.

For the rear just do the same. I'd go 2 or 3 positions out from full on the preload (Spring). Rebound I would go 5 Clicks out from fully turned in, and Compression I'd go 5 Clicks in from fully turned OUT position. Not sure why he went the opposite way on the Compression but it's okay. Just unscrew it all the clicks and turn it back in about 5 Clicks.

Last edited:
Okay, these are right from my notes. Don't ask me where I had gotten them from but they worked excellently the first time out. I'd go 2 to 3 clicks softer than what you see here in the diagram and then try it out. Then adjust as you feel fit.

FrontSuspensionSetting.jpg

I'll post up the rear settings as well since you should adjust both front and rear.

RearShockSetting.jpg

Let me know how it goes.:cheers:

Nice art work Billy!

Blast from the past, Billy.

As I scrolled through the post I knew that picture exactly. It's how I had mine set up as well, probably from your notes.

There is soom good suspension info on Pat's Motorcycle site, I used it as a starting point.

+1 for Pat's site.
I used it also for a starting point.......following his settings it was almost perfect for aggressive riding, but a bit too firm for everyday street....I backed it off a bit after my trip up to the Gap.

Back