Cruising temperature issues

I live in Texas, and on some days when the temps run over 100 degrees my bike stays between 195 and 217, I've seen it hit 219 when I was stopped for a long duration. And doing 45mph or below it may ride at 200 for a bit. When the temps were around 75-80 degrees it ran around 185 to 195. This topic has been brought up a few times, these bikes just run hot. I'm planning on putting engine ice in mine the next antifreeze change, it keeps them up to 30 degrees cooler.

I live in Texas, and on some days when the temps run over 100 degrees my bike stays between 195 and 217, I've seen it hit 219 when I was stopped for a long duration. And doing 45mph or below it may ride at 200 for a bit. When the temps were around 75-80 degrees it ran around 185 to 195. This topic has been brought up a few times, these bikes just run hot. I'm planning on putting engine ice in mine the next antifreeze change, it keeps them up to 30 degrees cooler.

Let's face it between emissions compliance and making the radiators as small as they can get away with these modern bikes are going to run hot. Engine Ice or WaterWetter may help. Another thing you can try if you live in a hot climate and don't have to worry about freezing temperatures is running a 30/70 or 40/60 ratio of anti-freeze/water. This may help a little since water is able to absorb and conduct heat better.

I actually had to replace my thermostat in my bike around 1,000 miles under warranty....The bike kept getting really hot to where the warning light would come on so I took it to the stealer and the said the thermo broke they replaced it and checked everything else out and said no engine damage...

My bike usually runs around 190 while riding in the hot summer and will climb to 217 while idle in the hot summer.....

Hot Bike Fix

TADAAA!

After removing and stove testing my thermostat and finding it operational, I drained flushed and replaced the coolant with Ice Blue. The bike continued to run hot and loose fluid. Today I decided to pull the thermostat and run it, the bike ran perfect in hot stop and go traffic. Obviously the thermostat wasn't opening at 71C or 155F but probably at the boiling point.
Ordered a new one and will run the bike this weekend without a thermostat, I think they are only to warm the bike up and with the 80s and 90s the bike won't need it.
Hope this help others thanks for everyones help as well.
FZ1s are superbikes!
=

I agree that you should go ahead and check coolant and oil levels, but remember that your mileage is still quite low. This is a well made engine and tolerances are tight, so friction will create some heat as well. Give her some time and mileage before getting too worried. Also (IMHO) you switched to synthetic way too soon. The extreme slippery-ness of synthetic can prevent mating of those very hard surfaces.

Back