Cutting the gytr pipe down????

mjfreuland

I was wondering if by doing this you lose any power and how much i should cut it down if i was to do this. Does anybody here have experience with that?

Little knowledge here. A mate and I helped another mate a couple of weeks ago.

Drill out the pop rivets at the bottom end where it bolts on. Don't worry about taking out the packing if you have any. Tape where you are going to cut after sizing it up measuring it. ( remember you can always take more off not put it back so if your not sure leave an inch for practice or to cut more later on) Make sure you cut through the tape if cutting carbon fiber and just use an angle grinder. Don't use cheap pop rivets when putting back together the ball with just rattle around and be very annoying when riding. The pipe will have a nice note and sound louder especially when getting into it at high rpm.

Good luck.

thanks papa for that link it was very helpful! but i was also wondering if anybody who has a good amount of performance mods (gutted cat, pcIII, air box mod, flies modded, stuff like that because the guy who did it on the other site hadn't really done these) has done this and noticed loss of power cause if not today is the day this is gonna happen!

If anything, shortening the pipe would reduce back pressure and could increase power. I highly doubt it will make much of a difference at all. I doubt you will need to make adjustments to your fueling. All slip ons are basically the same straight-through design and they come in varying lengths as it is.

I think the only thing you'll gain from cutting it down is noise. The stock length GYT-R muffler is basically a straight flowing muffler so not much restriction there.

Back