Cycle Gear BiLT Trackstar Leather Pants.

Recon Viper 1

Well, I've been through helmet issues and I've done the "jacket" thing and now we're into pants. For most of my life, I've worn Wranglers Denim Racing Pants, you may know them as "jeans".

I moved up to a pair of Sliders All Season Kevlar pants but they were too bulky. Then it was a pair of AlpineStars A-10 Air mesh pants and they aren't bad but I had to go to a size XXXXL/44" to fit for a 40".

Then I bought a pair of AlpineStars ST-5 Dry Pants and the jury is still out on whether I keep them.

Now, Cycle Gear is advertising a lot of attractive deals but I've been let down by Cycle Gear BiLT brand products before and I'm NOT a big fan BUT I will say that their BiLT Trackstar Boots ($74.99) and their BiLT Hurricane Boots ($79.99) are excellent products in any way that you can measure and very much worth the price. Just don't pay full price.

Anyway, they are currently advertising BiLT Trackstar Leather Pants at $129.95 and I rode into San Antonio to look at them.

NOTE: Don't ride into San Antonio unless you have a death wish.

I looked at their pants and tried some on based upon previous experience, which suggests that motorcycle apparel will always be too small. Nope, not this time.

As it turns out, I tried on a 42", with a 44" as a backup and came back to a true to size 40" for a good fit.

These pants feature a "BiLT Racing" logo on the back of the waist and on the leg; how proud I feel; and they are manufactured by the legendary P. A. Kistan company; a firm renowned for their quality products but, ya know what?

These seem to be pretty good pants for the price!

I haven't ridden in them but I've put them on and worn them and the fit seems pretty good. Even the knee slider pucks are worth $29.95! These pants are listed at 1.1 to 1.3 mm leather and the premium brands are listed at 1.2 to 1.4 mm leather. Is this significant? I don't know, you decide that one.

I don't know how long they will last and I can't give you an extensive analysis based upon usage but this seems, at this time, to be a pretty good deal.

If I had more to tell you about this product, I would.

2_web1001109_69064_8.jpg

Features and Benefits

1.1-1.3mm full grain leather
Perforated on front thighs
Comfort leather stretch panels above knees
Airflow mesh inner lining
Stretch fabric crotch, knee and calf panels
Short and all-round connecting zips
Zip entry front pockets
Stretch leather panels at waist with padded kidney belt
Stretch leather lower back panel
Pull through waist adjustment tab
CE Approved armor at knees
Detachable knee sliders
Cycle Gear exclusive
5-Year Guarantee

BILT Street Gear - Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Pants - Cycle Gear

These pants would have to self-destruct into basic component elements tomorrow to have an impact on me but I am always open to fact.

Until then, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this is a good deal that bears attention.

You can make your own decisions.

I just got a cheap set of Bilt gloves and apart from the fabric pad on the thumb wearing through in about 2 days, the rest of them have held up surprisingly well, and they're comfortable to boot.

I think Bilt stuff is decent enough if you're like me and regard your equipment as mildly disposable and plan to either beat the crap out of it or lose it before it comes apart anyways. If you are the type who maintains and preserves your clothing for years with fancy leather products and stuff, It'll probably fall apart far too fast for your liking :)

I bought a BiLT Blaze mesh jacket that was worthless and a pair of BiLT cold weather glove that weren't warm in hot weather but I'm sold on their boots and these pants seem like the real deal.

As of now, I'm thinking that I can't write off the BiLT brand but but have to look at each item individually.

I have come to the point where I believe it is wrong to write off the Brand due to prior experiences as it seems there is no quality consistency within the brand.

As long as we report which are winners and which are losers, we should steer clear of problems.

In that spirit, here are the model gloves I got:

BILT Street Gear - Circuit Racer Leather Motorcycle Gloves - Cycle Gear

They were in the half off bin for $39.99, so I got a blue pair. So far they have proven to be quite comfortable. The only issue is that after a couple weeks the rubber/fabric matrix on the thumb and palm is starting to get heavy wear/rips in it, but there's leather under it so I'm not too worried about it.

For the price, so far I'm pleased.

I wrote off a jacket and a pair of gloves as being worthless junk but I have two pairs of boots that are truly good products that I would miss without them.

How in the heck do you figure it out?

I think the Trackstar pants will be as good as the boots. Just have to guess.

I was looking at the trackstar 1 piece suit since I need a leather suit to do supermoto days up in LA and I don't want to spend a shit ton on an expensive suit that I'm only gonna use once every month or two. Let me know how the pants hold up.

Save your pennies and buy a brand name product. Compare the knee sliders and the armorial; you get what you pay for.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I agree, it's inferior in quality. However, since it meets the minimum requirements for what I want to do at minimum price, I think it's well suited to my needs. I fully plan on wearing supplemental armor, they just require full leather to participate.

I'm under no impression that I'm buying dianese or A* stuff.

Have to agree with Hellgate and Peter. The quality of your gear is what could prevent some hardship should something happen. Gear is an investment that I don't want to cut corners on, for obvious reasons.

I purchased my Dianese leather pants and jacket from Cycle Gear ON SALE! The pants listed for $450...I paid 225, and the jacket 'listed' at $800 and they were closing them out at $375. And Bilt stuff isn't in the same ballpark as Dianese! Last week they had two 1-piece Dianese race suits @ $500....both were returns and looked brand new. If I was you, I'd wait for a sale and look at their close out racks.

My leathers are from a couple of local guys who do suits and gloves, primarily for racers. I'm pretty pleased with the quality for the money. It's just a basic two-piece with no fancy features but has 1.4-1.6mm leather, CE armour and YKK zippers. Been excellent for me for the last few years and has seen some heavy use for sure.

My leathers are from a couple of local guys who do suits and gloves, primarily for racers. I'm pretty pleased with the quality for the money. It's just a basic two-piece with no fancy features but has 1.4-1.6mm leather, CE armour and YKK zippers. Been excellent for me for the last few years and has seen some heavy use for sure.

i am down here in portland and am in the process of researching which leather pants to buy and would be interested in checking out your local guys. do they have a website that i could check out?

Have to agree with Hellgate and Peter. The quality of your gear is what could prevent some hardship should something happen. Gear is an investment that I don't want to cut corners on, for obvious reasons.

I appreciate your support on that.

For most of my life, I've been wearing blue jeans while riding. Not the best. I don't believe anybody commented on that.

Late last year, I got a pair of Sliders (synthetic) mesh pants on clearance and found some reasons to dislike them. Currently, for sale on craigslist.

Not too long ago, I bought a USED pair of Alpinestars A-10 Air pants and I like the fit but the armor is very minimal. The hip armor is particularly bad, just a couple of sheets of very thin foam. These, also, are a synthetic mesh pant.

Recently, I found a pair of new Alpinestars pants for winter at a very reduced (50% off) price. I think the dealer made a mistake on that and the price jumped up, to a still discounted level, just after.

Now here is my point and I'll post your supporting comment....

The quality of your gear is what could prevent some hardship should something happen.

Now, some of us may enjoy Kobe beef and arugula everyday. I don't, my budget is very limited and I have to go with the best that I can afford.

Do you think having the leather of my cheap, unfashionable and tacky pants between me and the pavement is a step forward or should I just stick with blue jeans and synthetic mesh?

Very simply, is cheap leather better than no leather? I still have my blue jeans.

I envy those of you that don't have any financial limitations on their motorcycle purchases and wish that I had extra cash to buy the best but envy doesn't buy much these days.

PS: I do accept hand-me-downs.

I see it this way. Your Wranglers offer next to no protection should you hit the ground and slide down the pavement. If you are investing in entry level leathers, you are making the right decision. Cheap leathers are still leaps and bounds better than jeans, period.

Everyone has a budget and it's good to get the best protection you can within your budget, it's completely reasonable. You can get good gear for not much money. Buying used is another excellent way to save and get geared up.

I've been riding with a $250 leather suit for nearly 3 years now and I wore it daily up until I got a proper commuting suit 6 months ago.

If someone just tells you 'it's not _____ brand or _____ brand, it's shit', it's not really worth listening to unless they provide some actual reasons.

Last edited:
I would just say I try to be judicious with my money and gear. I don't have multiple sets. But I do have pretty good what I do have, and everything was purchased at discount. I upgraded. I didn't always wear it before I learned better.

IF you don't have it to spend, you don't have it. But, IMO if you are going to spend some coin on gear, make it count. Don't waste it on something you'll have to replace or will fall apart. 2 cents.

Last edited:
I see it this way. Your Wranglers offer next to no protection should you hit the ground and slide down the pavement. If you are investing in entry level leathers, you are making the right decision. Cheap leathers are still leaps and bounds better than jeans, period.

Everyone has a budget and it's good to get the best protection you can within your budget, it's completely reasonable. You can get good gear for not much money. Buying used is another excellent way to save and get geared up.

I've been riding with a $250 leather suit for nearly 3 years now and I wore it daily up until I got a proper commuting suit 6 months ago.

If someone just tells you 'it's not _____ brand or _____ brand, it's shit', it's not really worth listening to unless they provide some actual reasons.

My goodness, common sense and just reasoning? So pleasant to hear comments based upon the real world when so many are just ranting their opinion. Fact has so much more value.

Very much appreciated.

I always try to be sensible and buy the best that I can afford but affordability these days is declining. I wouldn't buy a helmet less than Snell Standards and I always do my best to be selective but the dollars left in the wallet after the bills are paid are the deciding factor.

I won't be the Belle of the Ball when all of my elegant associates are around but I should be safer than wearing blue jeans.

The "buying used" crowd I definitely agree with- I dont' want to be the guy that shows up to my group with new leathers anyway. In my experience, the better looking the leather, the worse the rider :)

It's the guys in the worn in suits and the ground down frame sliders on 03 R1's that you need to watch out for :)

Back