Drove home on a rigid...

This is not cool at all. I put one on about two weeks ago and when I checked out the fact that there was threaded rod on both ends I was wondering how strong it was going to be with all those cuts along the lenght of the rods. This kind of failure could cause a loss of someone's life. Maybe this should have a more prominent spot on the forum.

I'd replace that asap if I were you...

This is not cool at all. I put one on about two weeks ago and when I checked out the fact that there was threaded rod on both ends I was wondering how strong it was going to be with all those cuts along the lenght of the rods. This kind of failure could cause a loss of someone's life. Maybe this should have a more prominent spot on the forum.

Some scary shite.......... Soupy better not tell you he's unaware of the problem. Somebody's gonna get killed.

If you are really serious about pursuing this, look here:

AG - Consumer Complaint/Inquiry Filing Information

Soupy’s Performance Lowering Link | Inline Performance Magazine

"Nuno Mira wrote,

I bought one of these for my 2009 Yamaha R1 and IT BROKE WHILLE RIDING.
Save yourselves from grieve and keep your stock suspention link.
I have a $5000 repair to get my bike back to its original condition.
After contacting Soupys Performance, they offered me $350 to shop for used parts!!!"

Soupy's Adjustable Lowering Link

Re: Soupy's Adjustable Lowering Link
"I bought one year ago Soupy's Adjustable Lowering Link for my XX. I liked it. Bike felt nice.
When me and my wife took a holiday trip to Norway, the link broke! It lasted about 5000kms. Yes, we had 3 boxes + tent. Bike had load. We were very lucky, because it did not broke on high mountain road when turning. It broke 300m before camping place, at speed of less than 20km/h. What would have happened, if rear suspension have broken at 280km/h?

Lowering link was not what I was told. It did lower the bike about 1" when it was most upper postition. I was told, it lowers bike 0" to 2". So I cut both ends of the long nut and both threads 6mm. But it is not easy and fast to complain from EU to USA, thats why I shortened it myself.

Also complaining did not made any progress. The part is too weak for for XX, at least if You travel with your lady and packages."

Wow that's scary stuff PapaGeno21! :eek5: It's a good thing that you're OK and you didn't do more damage to your beautiful bike! I'll be watching out to see how you go with Soupy's. Good luck with it!!

Hi PapaGeno21, I used Sprint car suspension Rose Joints for my home made lowering link and an Ali 1" bar threaded internal 5/8 UNF right hand thread both ends, set it on the bench and non adjustable. I made this before I saw the Soupy link and before reading his condeming of Ali links. My Rose Joints screw in all the length of thread. Ive had no trouble even with a huge fat guy on the back. My lowering is 12mm on rear, 8mm front same as you. 1mm longer on the link = 3mm lowered on the wheel.

Last edited:
That sucks!

After reviewing the website, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee or warranty on the product except for a 30-day return policy.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but the eyelet/bolt joint seems awfully narrow and not sufficient for the forces a shock can exert.

I don't think anyone would claim the swing eye bolts used were designed to withstand the forces exerted on it.

If you went to the company and asked them to cover your damages, if they gave you ANY money it would come along with a release of liability and non-disclosure agreement to never speak of the matter again.

Then if you bad mouth them they would be able to file a law suit against you for breaking a contract.

Well we have been going back and forth, they are sorry it happened.

The link is now in the mail going back to them, and I should be getting a refund. We shall see.

All I want is my money back and I will drop the whole thing.

Well we have been going back and forth, they are sorry it happened.

The link is now in the mail going back to them, and I should be getting a refund. We shall see.

All I want is my money back and I will drop the whole thing.

Really glad you are ok, but i would not be contented with just a refund...
If this happens with someone riding with the wife or kid and somebody gets hurts, maybe this is just a matter of time. This is playing with people´s lives.
Isn´t in the US an institution to protect consumers rights that you can make a formal complaint ?

Wow! Bro you're one lucky SOB. Glad you made it home safely.

One a side note, all this lawyer talk is ridiculous. When a person choses to modify their vehicle with parts other than that made for the vehicle then he/she assumes the risk of failure/malfunction.

You've done the right thing by contacting them by email to inform them of the failure, so maybe, they can look into making a stronger product. GL

One a side note, all this lawyer talk is ridiculous. When a person choses to modify their vehicle with parts other than that made for the vehicle then he/she assumes the risk of failure/malfunction.

Not too sure I agree with you here gtbigup01. The fact is that the part was made for the vehicle. Soupy's made and sold this for the FZ1. PapaGeno21 installed it as per their instructions for the purpose it was designed and made for. It let him down big time and I think he has a right to be annoyed and seeking some compensation.

Just my thoughts.

PS. PapaGeno21 I notice that the thread title has changed. I hope that this is an indication that you are having some success with Soupy's.

That connection is called a Heim joint and like someone else mentioned, you can buy them in different hardness ratings but they are very hard to find.

Soupy's info was obviously wrong when he made the part but I'm not sure he is liable. Besides, Soupy may be operating out of his garage and it's hard to get blood out of a turnip.

Om a different note: My dogbone is solid like stock but can be adjusted down or up an inch. I'm curious why you didn't get one of those?

Not too sure I agree with you here gtbigup01. The fact is that the part was made for the vehicle. Soupy's made and sold this for the FZ1. PapaGeno21 installed it as per their instructions for the purpose it was designed and made for. It let him down big time and I think he has a right to be annoyed and seeking some compensation.

Just my thoughts.

PS. PapaGeno21 I notice that the thread title has changed. I hope that this is an indication that you are having some success with Soupy's.

I noticed that also. If it were me I could care less about the Soupy's name saving face. What if he were in the twisties when this happened? The outcome wouldn't be the same. I don't know anything about the company but can assure you nothing from them will ever go on my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back