Dual R1 Mufflers on an Gen. II FZ1 ???

WABBMW

Has anyone ever modified the exhaust system on an FZ1 to accept two mufflers off an R1? It probably makes no sense, and perhaps no performance advantage, but I really like the appearance of the two-muffler system on an R1. I also like the exhaust sound.

I realize that this project would require considerable custom work such as:
1. Fabricate a mid pipe that would lead from the front header - outside the right side of the swing arm, and back inward to connect to a "Y" for the R1 mufflers. 2. Build some heavy duty hangers for the mufflers - probably bolted to the sub-frame along with the rear passenger pegs. 3. Have a considerable heat shield that would keep from heating the underside of the rear section of the passenger seat. 4. Position the mufflers for sufficient rear tire/swing arm/ brake caliper clearance. Etc. Etc.

I need to get my hands on some R1 mufflers so that I could hold them in position, just to see if it is even possible. The rear section of an R1 is shaped to accept the mufflers, and not so on the FZ1. Didn't want to go to lots of trouble if someone else has tried this and run into impossible problems.

I know people will proclaim me crazy for having this idea. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I was lead to believe the sound difference with the R1 had more to do with the change in the way the engine works not just a dual exhaust.

Yeah, I am thinking of the earlier conventional R1 engine, and not the cross-plane crankshaft version. I did a demo ride on a cross-plane R1 and it sounds completely different than a conventional in-line 4.

I'm not 100% on whether there is clearance under the tail for that type of system. If it's more the sound than the look you could try a different position. I have always been curious about fabricating a 4 into 2 header and running twin cans (one on each side of the swing arm). It would take an awful lot of fabrication, and I don't even know if there would be a way to make the pipe clear on the left (chain) side. I bet it could look and sound pretty cool, though.

I do agree that the oem muffler of r1 really looks great, but I find it expensive just to mount it to my FZ1 compared in getting a aftermarket system instead. Also I think you guys are right that the exhaust sound of the R1 differed due to the engine design compared to the FZ1.

Has anyone ever modified the exhaust system on an FZ1 to accept two mufflers off an R1? It probably makes no sense, and perhaps no performance advantage, but I really like the appearance of the two-muffler system on an R1. I also like the exhaust sound.

I realize that this project would require considerable custom work such as:
1. Fabricate a mid pipe that would lead from the front header - outside the right side of the swing arm, and back inward to connect to a "Y" for the R1 mufflers. 2. Build some heavy duty hangers for the mufflers - probably bolted to the sub-frame along with the rear passenger pegs. 3. Have a considerable heat shield that would keep from heating the underside of the rear section of the passenger seat. 4. Position the mufflers for sufficient rear tire/swing arm/ brake caliper clearance. Etc. Etc.

I need to get my hands on some R1 mufflers so that I could hold them in position, just to see if it is even possible. The rear section of an R1 is shaped to accept the mufflers, and not so on the FZ1. Didn't want to go to lots of trouble if someone else has tried this and run into impossible problems.

I know people will proclaim me crazy for having this idea. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ixil make a duel exhaust system but I'm pretty sure it only fits the N model only, or so I read somewhere: ixil exhaust fz1 - Google Search

Good luck with it all though :)

I want to do the same thing on my gen1 , will not be easy or cheap.
You would need the cans, thin wall tubing,a few bends and more important the skill and machinery to do it.

I think you must find a shop specialized in custom headers, tig welding thin walled stainless is not a hobby project.

Well, this evening I looked at 2 OEM mufflers off a 2009 R1. These are somewhat triangular shaped. The muffler length is perfect, but the overall size of the can itself is simply too large to fit nicely. In order to position each muffler for clearance from the body and rear tire and swingarm, they would have to be mounted fairly far outboard. The inlet piping would interfere with the rear foot pegs. In fact, the foot pegs would most likely need to be removed - both for clearance, and to have a good place to mount the muffler hanger. Then the inlet pipes would need extensive modification. And finally, a heat shield would be needed to protect the body paint.

In summary, it could be done, but would require extensive modification. And after all that, I don't think it would look good due to the outboard positioning. Thanks to all for the input.

theres not enough room without a custom subframe and tail. i even smashed my license plate and broke my fender elim on the rear tire today.

Back