economy build!

ok guys im new here but i decided to post the ECONOMY PROJECT! DUN DUN DUN! thats right, over the next 3 months ill be seeing how far 1000 dollars can really go.

so the bike is a 2001 fz1, 40k miles, original purchase price:$2,000.

came with, leo vince pipe, stock all the way around.

I have currently spent 75$ aprox on sebus (spelling?) headlight (35 bucks on ebay), heat shrink connectors, 7" long piece of threading with lock nuts and washers, black paint, flakes, and clear coat from previous project

the plan is military green, shark mouth and machine guns on tank tail section paint will be background of military green with stacks of shell casings and flat black burn marks coming off the tip of the tail, basically a jet fighter street fighter theme, i have access to welding, painting, and pipe bending machines, and buddys who fiberglass, so this build will not be counting any type of labor in the $1000 limit

heres a few pictures of the bike!
309589_10150370072558833_783293832_9947353_649613_n.jpg

297974_10150365913543833_783293832_9903477_6873600_n.jpg

like it? hate it? tell me! all inputs good input :)

edit, painted radiator covers to match fly screen ;)

Last edited:
Its cool to see someone step out side the box. There were a couple of good Gen I street fighter builds this year but neither of them have had any follow up. So please keep posting and we will "judge" later. Looks cool so far..

the new tail section is going to be the interesting part, but I think when you really dig deep into the fz1, its the perfect hooligan bike, and thats what im after. I personally took this bike from newport beach, CA to austin, TX, comfortably, it loves wheelies, with a great balance point IMO, its skinny enough to split lanes in the worst of california traffic, yet comfortable enough to put you girl on the back for a ride though the mountains. this is my first street fighter build, I have built a 03 636 so this will be my second build I plan to use this bike to show case my talents to help get shade tree work to put me through motorcycle school :) anyways this could end up another chop job done by an 18 year old, or maybe some thing thats borderline art

Keep us up on the project. It's really refreshing to see someone start with the basic inexpensive carcass and turn it into a nifty looking ride that doesn't cost a small fortune.

getting farther

ok so iv done a few things, removed handles on tail, repainted flat black, did rims gloss with red lip, red moto bars(required sanding of a small notch where the kill switch comes together)rear steel braided brake line, rear pegs,

the bike is going to be pin striped red and white, if I can find some one capable to help me i plan to do my frame and engine black, but thats lots of work :)

ivans carb kit and air box removal, solo seat cowel, and a new headlight bracket/gauges and seat cover and I think she will be finished :)

335540_10150424930263833_783293832_10325075_315081561_o.jpg

well what do you guys think? all input is good input :)

336148_10150424929943833_783293832_10325074_1334077100_o.jpg

336330_10150424928958833_783293832_10325072_1414735785_o.jpg

Last edited:
How did you fill the holes from the passenger handles? My bike was missing them when I bought it and I an trying to decide if I pick up some used handles from someone or fill them when I re-paint the rear plastic.

This is how it looks right now:

2011-10-04152402.jpg

2011-10-04152411.jpg

Thanks.

How did you fill the holes from the passenger handles? My bike was missing them when I bought it and I an trying to decide if I pick up some used handles from someone or fill them when I re-paint the rear plastic. Thanks.

I used bondo and left an indention where the holes were so the looked 1/2 filled in, then sanded with a very small piece of sand paper to expose an edge on the inside of the holes, then used fiber glass resin by itself and painted it on the area in light coats till it was just above level with the rest of the tail, sanded, primered, painted.

MAKE DAMN SURE that there is plenty of bondo around the hole on the inside, the first time i attempted to do it my bondo wasn't covering enough area on the inside to hold very well and ended up poping out while i was sanding them, ALSO sand the inside of the tail so the bondo sticks in there better.

in retrospect i prolly could have done it with either just bondo or just fiber glass, but this way has worked well for me and i havent had any issues with it

Lower the light to make it kinda inline with the tank so it will flow better with the rest of the bike.

the reason the headlight sits so awkward is it is on the original gauge mount. I personally HATE the stock gauges and i plan to get a digi and find another place to mount it so that I can move the headlight farther down, though when it comes to riding and not style i personally prefer the floating light over being attached to the forks and moving with the bars, but im starting to realize theres no good looking way to have it like that

quick up date.

made a custom shorty exhaust, baffled. runs like a charm, pisses off my neighbors even in the middle of the day. what more could you ask from a fighter?!

exhaust.jpg

what do you guys think?

quick up date.
what do you guys think?

I'm thinking that sucker is loud :D I would consider adding something that has some sort of baffle. I've seen tips with built-in baffles, but I'm not sure how much they would reduced the noise. Something like this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or modify a slip-on to fit. I used a MIVV, removed the hanger bracket and fabricated a small link pipe between the headers & slip-on, even reused the springs. As far a noise, i haven't noticed any difference it roughly is about the same as before if anything the bike sounds sweeter. Performance wise, it is about the same as before in low-mid range which is awesome but seems to pull harder higher in the revs 9k+. I loved the look of the Graves underslung system but couldn't justify the $$$.

Last edited:
I just used a pully from tractor supply and tacked it in the pipe, the inside hole was the same diameter as my leo vince so i decided to experiment and it runs like a top

the biggest thing i see with shorty tips if people put them on and the baffle doesnt give them enough back pressure, thats why I looked around till i found something that fit perfect.

if theres anyone interested I can make a video of how it sounds, its not too much different than just straight headers, but it gives it a slightly different tone and %200 less back fire

I used bondo and left an indention where the holes were so the looked 1/2 filled in, then sanded with a very small piece of sand paper to expose an edge on the inside of the holes, then used fiber glass resin by itself and painted it on the area in light coats till it was just above level with the rest of the tail, sanded, primered, painted.

MAKE DAMN SURE that there is plenty of bondo around the hole on the inside, the first time i attempted to do it my bondo wasn't covering enough area on the inside to hold very well and ended up poping out while i was sanding them, ALSO sand the inside of the tail so the bondo sticks in there better.

in retrospect i prolly could have done it with either just bondo or just fiber glass, but this way has worked well for me and i havent had any issues with it

Thanks for the info. I ended up picking up a set of used handles, sanding them and painting them along with the entire rear plastics.

Back