engin surges ?

hi guys can any won tell me how to stop my bike surging from 1000 rpm down to about 9500 rpm and back to 1000 rpm it has only started doing this since i had the pc5 & auto tune fitted . it sonds like heavy breathing is this just some ajusting neaded in the pc5 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you extract your map and look at it to see of there are severe peaks and lows? Sounds like there is a problem within the map.

You can try one of the Duken/Whittlebeast maps that match your selection of mods for the bike.

hi thanks for your reply for got to say it has a acropovic slip on and k&N filter on start up its ok till it reaches tempfor some strang reason could not find a map on pcm site for the acro so had to load the graves slip on stock or after market air filter. could it be this map is not best suited for the acro?.

It should be fine for those two items. Are there any other mods? AIS blocked? sub-throttle plates modded or removed?

Also, is the O2 sensor still plugged in or do you have it bypassed?

hi guys can any won tell me how to stop my bike surging from 1000 rpm down to about 9500 rpm and back to 1000 rpm it has only started doing this since i had the pc5 & auto tune fitted . it sonds like heavy breathing is this just some ajusting neaded in the pc5 ?

I guess you mean surging between 950 and 1000 RPM right?. For starters you should raise your idle to around 1200-1300 RPM. That alone may get rid of the surging completely or make it much better. Another thing that I have heard that works good for that is modifying the 0% colum of the PC V map. You can try putting all zeros in the 0% column up to around 1500 RPM or even some small negative numbers (-2 or -3).

fz1 inNH yes the the ais are blocked this stopped the opping from the acro on de cell no other mods . i have a auto tuner on the pc5 which i gess needs the o2 cencer which was supplyed with it. so yes it is conected.

NJfz1 i will try the raised idle to see if that helps. the bike idled faster befour the the pc5 was fitted by my local dealer may be ile take it back for them to look at failing that i will have to take it to the mainland no dyno centers in jersey and let them set it up on the rolling rd ?.

Last edited:
Just for reference, to raise the idle turn the screw that I have circled clockwise. I am willing to bet that it will at least improve the surging with a slightly raised idle.

thanks for your pic a great help i willhave a look tomorrow and let you no if that has worked oh and good news i passed my big bike test today! yipp eee

hi mate you were right ajusting the idle has done the trick no more surging at lights thanks wonce again... another question? on hard excelaration on changing gear up @ 7-8-9 th rpm i get a little pop is this the fuel cut every won talks about and would the fce from ivans be the cure. bike has fitted k&n filtter acro slip power com5 auto tuner.

hi mate you were right ajusting the idle has done the trick no more surging at lights thanks wonce again... another question? on hard excelaration on changing gear up @ 7-8-9 th rpm i get a little pop is this the fuel cut every won talks about and would the fce from ivans be the cure. bike has fitted k&n filtter acro slip power com5 auto tuner.

Glad it was just that simple to fix ;)

Not sure what you mean by pop, but what the FCE "fixes" is more of a throttle lag when you get back on the gas at higher RPMs. What you're experiencing just sounds like the map is not right. The Autotune sounds great in principle, but doesn't quite work like it should. I had it on my bike and got rid of it. You could try disabling the Autotune and loading another map in the PC V to see if it makes any difference.

when comming of the gas at hi revs say 45 in fst then say 70 in 2nd for example as i come of the throttle and reaply i get a slight backfire is this the fuel injection stopping as i come of and the pop as it re-enters the chamber on excelaration?.

The popping is more likely caused by the AIS injecting air into the exhaust, creating a lean condition when you close the throttle during shifts. Might be able to reduce it some with mapping changes, but ultimately to get rid it of it completely, block off the ais.

The pop could be your AIS working. AIS (air injuction system)puts fresh air into the exhaust system to burn off unburnd fuel on decell. Also helps the cat. If your going to gut the cat, kill the AIS too.
But if you would like to keep the cat, I would say, keep the AIS and live with the pop.
I have seen where the cat will melt down with out the AIS. Not always, but it can.
I have also seen air leaks in the exhaust do the same. Same thing happening (fresh air+unburnd fuel = POP pp Pow).

It's cool if you have your AIS, you can hear the fuel cut happening. By leasoning to the popping on decel. My bike will start popping... then quit as it goes into fuel cut. Thats when I know I have to be carefull to reaply the throttle.
I really need an FCE soon... gez

opps.... didn't see the post by GPZ1100... ummmm yeah, what he said..lol.

Last edited:
when comming of the gas at hi revs say 45 in fst then say 70 in 2nd for example as i come of the throttle and reaply i get a slight backfire is this the fuel injection stopping as i come of and the pop as it re-enters the chamber on excelaration?.

I get exactly the same on my 09 bike and it's had the AIS blocked off. It doesn't happen every time, just sometimes.
I'm not going to worry too much about it, it doesn't seem to affect the performance and there's no throttle snatch so I'm happy with it.

Back