Engine Enamel

craig074

I have been researching ways to black out some of the silver parts on my Gen1 and was settled on getting it powder coated. Then I talked to a friend who owns a Gen1 Bee. He told me to look at Rust-Oleum's engine enamel that is good up to 500°F. I bought a can, $8 at your local hardware store, and sprayed the radiator guards. Too my surprise, they looked great! It was what I was looking for this whole time, and at a fraction of the cost of powder coating. Now before I let my excitement get the better of me, I figured I better just leave it on the guards for a week and see how it holds up. They held up great through heavy downpours, high heat and humidity and over 200 miles of travel. I decided to buy a second can of pain and finish off the rest of my bike with the pieces I really wanted covered. I used the matte black finish and in one afternoon and two-three coats I was done and I am real happy with the results. I have some pictures, please excuse the dirty bike, for you to look at. From what I understand it comes in multiple colors.
Just thought I would share.

Before shot
IMAG0120.jpg

After
IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Pic of the product
engineenamel.jpg

Will post better pictures when I get them

That was pretty much your only option for the radiator guards anyway. They are plastic and powder coating only works on metallic parts. They came out looking good and I'm sure they'll hold up just fine.

How is the paint holding up on the plastic parts so far?

I want to paint my rear plastic Black, and perhaps black out some other parts on the bike. Normally the biggest issue with painting plastic is getting it to bind to the plastic base. Most paints do not bind to plastics.

I used that exact same paint during the restoration of my 66 Mustang and had great results. It holds up very well and sprays nice and even. Another plus is it seems to dry very fast...

How is the paint holding up on the plastic parts so far?

I want to paint my rear plastic Black, and perhaps black out some other parts on the bike. Normally the biggest issue with painting plastic is getting it to bind to the plastic base. Most paints do not bind to plastics.

It has held up great. No problems with it whatsoever. I would recommend this paint 100%

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Back