Exhaust selection

Hi all. I'm riding a 09 Fz1, and what I'm looking for is an exhaust system(slip on) that fills the slightly flat spot in the 6k-8k rpm range, not too interested in max peak numbers or noise level, just trying to fatten up that mid range. Any suggestions?

Hi all. I'm riding a 09 Fz1, and what I'm looking for is an exhaust system(slip on) that fills the slightly flat spot in the 6k-8k rpm range, not too interested in max peak numbers or noise level, just trying to fatten up that mid range. Any suggestions?

Most slip-ons are basically all the same so any should give you more power. However, to fill in that mid-range flat spot the way to go would be a full exhaust like the Yoshimura R-77. The Yosh has longer primary tubes that help with the torque production in that RPM range.

I was under the impression that removing the EXUP system would reduce mid range, and full systems boosted top end. Did i get my infos backwards?

Your info is not backwards, it just not applicable to the Gen II bikes. On the Gen II FZ1 the EXUP just serves to reduce noise and doesn't really make a difference when it comes to power. Now the Gen I FZ1 and other Yamahas that have the EXUP in the collector are a different story. With them installing a full system that does away with the EXUP will lead to a reduction in low and mid-range torque.

i'm not sure about performance but i've got the gytr slip on and i love it. there is a NEW one one ebay right now for super cheap, bidding is like at $15.00 right now.... it wouls be a killer deal considering they retail for over $400

With every bike I've had tuned with a Power Commander and a pipe the mid range has picked up significantly. I feel that the tune is the key to making the whole package come together.

For my current bike I'm "borrowing" a map from my tuner until we can get the bike on the dyno to totally dial it in, so I don't have a plot to show the difference. That probably won't happen until September or so.

On my FZ6 a pipe and the tune gave me 7 more hp at 6,000 rpm. We also made more torque at 40% throttle after the tune vs. 100% throttle pre tune.

On my 1125R we picked up 16 hp at 6,000 rpm and the same 40% vs. 100% torque increase. On that bike the power was totally scary.

On my FZ1, again no plots yet, with only an Akrapovic and the sort of custom map the mid-range is very good, and very linear. Not 1125R punchy, but very good never the less.

So if you can do both I suspect you'll be very happy with the results.

Can any tell me if the R1 headers fit the 08 FZ1??

They probably fit at the exhaust port, but the R1 uses an under the seat high mounted exhaust so the header is very short and a 4--->1 design. Even if it fit, it would kill the mid-range of the FZ1.

I put the two bros on my 08, sounds and runs good, just got some jiffy pop on deceleration. Hoping PC will cure this, has anyone plugged the air return line to the airbox?

Hi. Dont know if anyone still discussing this issue but if so. I just bought a 2010 model FZ1. Does it also have this problem discribed above. I have not got on it yet as I am away on business. Thanks

I put the two bros on my 08, sounds and runs good, just got some jiffy pop on deceleration. Hoping PC will cure this, has anyone plugged the air return line to the airbox?

PC wont cure it. Only "fix" is to disable the AIS. Plugging the line going into the airbox will resolve the issue. Look here for more info.

Back