EXUP inoperative?

picard

I was wondering whether my EXUP valve actually works. Is it supposed to cycle when you switch the key to on?

In the manual it says "perform the self-diagnostic mode" and "make sure the EXUP operates several times..."
The cables are all tight and everything looks in spec (less than 3 mm play)

Mine does not move when I turn the key on nor does it seem to move as I go through the revs (in neutral). It does seem to be in the open position all the time (resting on the tabs).

I do not get any error codes and the valve moves easily by hand.

Any advice would be appreciated.

with the lower cover off. rev the bike up and drop the throttle several times. The valve should close to eliminate the popping from the AIS system when the throttle is backed off. You will be able to see the movement if it is working. Of course it doesn't hurt anything if it is not, and as long as you are getting no error codes I wouldn't worry about it.

with the lower cover off. rev the bike up and drop the throttle several times. The valve should close to eliminate the popping from the AIS system when the throttle is backed off. You will be able to see the movement if it is working. Of course it doesn't hurt anything if it is not, and as long as you are getting no error codes I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the info. So it's not supposed to move when switching on the ignition? I really don't understand what they are saying in the manual for the adjustment procedure...

Thanks for the info. So it's not supposed to move when switching on the ignition? I really don't understand what they are saying in the manual for the adjustment procedure...

I am not sure without looking at my service manual. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and post it.
I always hear something cycle when I turn on the key (before I start it) and thought it was the servo motor, but I can't say with any certainty. It could be the fuel pump.

I am not sure without looking at my service manual. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and post it.
I always hear something cycle when I turn on the key (before I start it) and thought it was the servo motor, but I can't say with any certainty. It could be the fuel pump.

Probably the secondary butterflies. They do cycle when you switch on the ignition. And the fuel pump runs.

I'd be interested to hear how you interpret the nonsense in the manual...

Back