Factory Experimental Drag Racing - 1960's - Ford Thunderbolt

WABBMW

I figure most of you are too young to have lived through the drag racing era of the early 1960's, but for the older crowd, like myself, this video brings back some fond memories. American Muscle cars. Stock cars from the factory got faster and finally reached a peak with Ford's Thunderbolt. There were only about 100 of these build. Strictly for drag racing. After considerable body modification, they installed the 427 engine in the light weight Fairlane body.

Toward the end of this documentary, they said these stock cars would do a quarter mile in the low 11 second ET, and over 120 MPH. As I sat and pondered this for a moment - it dawned on me that there is a two wheeled vehicle sitting in my garage that could beat the Thunderbolt. Made me smile. Times have changed.

P.S. A modified Thunderbolt did the quarter in 9.235 seconds, and over 151 MPH. Anyway - Hope you enjoy this video. Any older person who did any drag racing during that time should like it.

American Muscle Car-S1E05-1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt - YouTube

tbolt world record - YouTube

Last edited:
I have raced Ford Event's at that track and with the car in the Video. I have seen it run and talked to the owner awesome car!!! I used to run a 427 FE in my 69 mustang so I love the FE engines and factory race cars(mine was not, done by me)

Back