Fender Eliminator R1 to FZ1

FastRnu2

I was out in the garage over the weekend looking through some boxes of motorcycle parts I had gathered over the years. I came upon a new, in the box, Shock Racing Fender Eliminator Kit for a 04-06 R1. I thought to myself, I wonder if I can fit this to my FZ1. After all they are both Yamahas.

So I proceeded to disassemble the FZ1. Once I had the stock fender off the bike, I realized the bolt pattern for the two bikes differed. No matter of drilling or elongating of holes would fit fender eliminator R1 onto slot FZ1. I proceeded to take some scrap 16ga mild steel and cut it into a 4” x 4” square. I drilled the four corner holes to match the FZ1. At this point you have two options. One you can bolt the Shock Racing Fender Eliminator to the plate or you can, like I did, weld the two together. I got an 110V wire welder for xmas and had to try it out anyway. A touch up of rattle can low gloss black and I was in business.

I also took this opportunity to install a set of Lockhart Phillips Razor LED turn signals front and rear. I also installed a Lockhart Phillips flasher unit so the LED indicators would have the proper cadence. One thing that I did have to do that I did not want to do was cut and splice the wires. I couldn’t find anyone who had in stock the proper connectors and terminals so I cut the ones off the stock FZ1 turn signals. I did solder and shrink wrap the wires so I am pretty confident I will have no electrical issues later on down the road.

I think the Shock Fender Eliminator for the R1 hangs down lower to clear the twin under tail mufflers. Bolted to the FZ1 you actually have a nice looking bracket between the body and license plate. I think it looks better than just having your license plate directly below the taillight. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is the list of parts I used and some pictures of the process.

UTR-RIB Shocks Fender Eliminator 04-06 R1
L122-8250 Lockhart Phillips Razor Turn Signals (2 sets)
L109-9331 Lockhart Philips Turn Indicator Spacer Kit for front fairing
L122-7515 Lockhart Philips relay

This is what happens when you are old and your kids have moved out. Too much idle time. :wtf:

Yea, looks really good. And the best part is that you already had it laying around. Only thing you need now to keep it legal is some sort of light over the plate. Some nice little LED ones like these should do the trick ;)

grass

Nice job Fast! Looks really slick. You guys in Cali must love that beautiful weather. It makes doing mods all that more fun!

Picture # 3, green grass in the background. I started to drool on my keyboard and then forgot what I was doing. It's a tough life for some. :hellno:

Picture # 3, green grass in the background. I started to drool on my keyboard and then forgot what I was doing. It's a tough life for some. :hellno:

Just remember So-Cal is a desert. We have to buy our water from other states. The reason the grass is green is because the snow you are getting now was our rain last week. The houses are still sliding down the hillside. We just don't know what to do with all this "natural" water.

Besides the whole state is a giant vibrator. It shakes, rattles, and rolls periodically to make sure it's occupants still have a heartbeat.

But the weather for the most part is great. A cold snap here is when the temperature gets below 50. Before I got a real job, I used to wear shorts year round.:)

Like a cheap motel

Besides the whole state is a giant vibrator. It shakes, rattles, and rolls periodically to make sure it's occupants still have a heartbeat.

But the weather for the most part is great. A cold snap here is when the temperature gets below 50. Before I got a real job, I used to wear shorts year round.:)

Think of all the quarters that you save, The bed vibrates all by it self.

I was in Kelowna, BC in 2003 at a bike ralley. About the time we (450+) bikes were set to roll out on our various group rides there was a 4.5 tremor. I did not even notice it. That night when I phoned home my wife asked me about it and I told her that I would have just chalked it up as all the bikes running(vibrating).

It's pretty dry here in Calgary as well. At 3900 feet above sea level and just east of the rockies we are in a dry area of the foothills. We do get some crazy weather, heavy rains lots of hail, and some wild snow storms. Just not by comparison to our neighbors to the east and the north of the province.

Us winterized people just get excited seeing green (your grass) at this point, desert or not.

Back