first gen engine swap...pics inside

I just discovered how nice it was to have an extra engine. I was able to pull the extra engine apart to see what was going on inside mine. It appears that is either A) an oil leak, or B) residual oil from when I changed the oil in the new engine. theres no way that can be coolant, for the simple fact that thats a hard line that runs all the way into the water pump. The red seal, is an oil seal.

IMAG0626.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

Well give the area a good cleaning with some brake cleaner (or parts cleaner) and see if any fluid builds up in the area again. Like you said it could be something old...

I put 50 miles on it today. It ran flawless. I now understand why there is such a following for these motorcycles. The power of the new engine is incredible. I cleaned it before my ride, and it just seems to be a slight seep. I am going to keep an eye on the oil level and when I change the oil, I will swap the red seal out and all should be good! :shine:

any details on the engine lift you used?

That would of made short work of my endeavor(s) and it may look like I'll have use for one.

Well I joined the r1 forum and rounded up the r1 shift arm. I dont care for it much. It made a buttery smooth transmission, clunky. i will post up pics later.

Well makes sense. Sort of installing a "short shifter" in a manual car. Shift lever travel is reduced, but so is the leverage so shifting will always require more effort. I'm sure you'd get used to it after a while...

Well makes sense. Sort of installing a "short shifter" in a manual car. Shift lever travel is reduced, but so is the leverage so shifting will always require more effort. I'm sure you'd get used to it after a while...

ive ridden more since doing this, and I am really happy with it. Once I got used to the effort, it actually has more of a "crisp" feel to it.

Back